Alaskan Cruise deals thru Timeshare (RCI)

Old Oct 6th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaskan Cruise deals thru Timeshare (RCI)

Has anyone traded in or bargained for an Alaskan Cruise with RCI? My Father in Law got a call with an offer (don't remember the exact details) but it was approx a 10 day with land excursion (Vancouver to Fairbanks I believe) inside cabin 2 people $2000 total.

I did the RT Vancouver 7 day trip a few years ago on Royal Carib balcony cabin. I am pretty sure we paid around 1000-1200pp thru AAA.

Does the math work out with their deals or should we not even consider it? We have very young kids and plan to go when they are 3 and 5 in 2 yrs. I can't imagine cruising Alaska and NOT having a private balcony. I priced a cruise for the 4 of us (2 adults/2 kids) around 2500/pp with a 10 day incld land pkg to Denali on RC. They seem to have the slightly younger age advantage and better geared to kids. I think the RCI deal may have been with Princess but my mind is at a loss for now!

$4000 vs $10,000 is a big deal but an inside cabin doesn't seem worth the trade off. I hated fighting for space with everyone up on the decks at times. It was great to sit in my pj's and take in the landscape that was passing by!
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM

WE cannot find any benefit in trading a timeshare week for a cruise. We always get a better deal with a local agent or online agent. Annual maintenance and exchange fees are involved. If you book the cruise on your own you can get incentives like onboard credit. Crucon.com and vacationstogo.com will do much better for you. The trade bocomes a waste of money. You can get better prices with agents than with any cruise line. These online agents deal in bulk for various cruise lines. Crucon booked over 500 passengers for Royal Caribbean on our last cruise. On our next one we'll have $325 onboard credit given to our cabin. Sometimes you can get your gatuities taken care of as well. cruisecomplete.com compares prices and takes bids.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I am always a bit skeptical and we have lucked up on some good weeks at regular properties but the cruise thing just doesn't seem to make sense to me--too many rules and they don't really have anything to do with the cruise line if there were changes or issues once we arrived.

I will check out the sites you suggested!
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM

I agree--no middle man needed. We too have had great times exhanging for properties. Why fix it if it isn't broken. We figure the timeshare or exchange company must have something to gain with the cruise thing. Hope you find nice cruise!
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 04:44 AM

The other consideration, you need to be aware of, in no way is a "10" day cruise tour, to Fairbanks, a good choice. At the min. even a 5 day add on is lacking, and certainly anything shorter, most always a poor choice. Distances are vast and these short tours, have most of the time in transit, rather than at the destinations. Educate yourself on cruisetour features and options. The more you know the better.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM

When I compared the RCI deal with just booking it myself, RCI was a lot more expensive for Alaska. Even the RCI agent said that it was not a very good deal because Alaska is so popular that they don't have to cut prices.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Encores to BudgetQueen and happytourist. Good input!