Alaskan Cruise Excursions-help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've booked a 13 day Alaskan land and cruise package from Princess Cruises in August. We're overwhelmed with the optional excursions available. Can anyone give us some advice on a "don't miss" tour? They are all pretty pricey, so we can only go on one or two. Thanks for your help

Jeff & Sue
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 02:27 AM

You still need to look at your interests and narrow them down. Just too many options in Alaska otherwise. Don't skimp on tours, unless you are a frequent visitor. Flights are a highlight. Myself, I will never take another crusetour and have since only gone independent. You'll see twice as much for 1/2 the cost. Choose carefully your tour. Most have too much time in transit and too little at the attraction.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info - we have a group of 17 going, so making choices will be rather difficult. We will all probably go our own way. Have you ever been on Capt. Larry's Whale Watch?
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:02 AM

Yes several times with Orca Enterprises, also with Dolphin. Both well run long established companies.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 03:58 PM

Just returned from 13 day cruisetour with celebrity. It was FANTASTIC. We went with 2 children and my parents. I made all of my arrangements online prior to sailing with help from the internet. When you review this board (and other cruise review boards), you will see that there are many, many options. Budget queen has absolutely terrific suggestions.
One of our favorite trips was the flightseeing with glacier landing out of Talkeetna. We booked thru K-2 which had a very good safety record (my mother was terrified but thrilled that she did it)-they offer a AAA discount if you book directly.
We did whale watching with Dolphin and a relaxing eagel float ride out of Skagway (you take the fast ferry to haines and go from there. We received a group discount on both of those booking thru Dolly Varden and this saved us quite a bit of money (more than actually booking thru the one vendor directly).
I would suggest researching as much as you can. These boards have wonderful info. With a group that large, you may have to split up depending on likes/dislikes but don't forget to ask about group discounts-many were offering these for more than 6. Have a great time!! (Don't forget to take comfy shoes-the land tour and walking in ports was very tiring!!)