Alaska Shore Excursions for Teens

May 7th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Alaska Shore Excursions for Teens

We exchanged our multitudinous United frequent flier miles for a HAL cruise to Alaska right after school is out. (Amsterdam) Our children are 13 and 16. We just received our information packets from HAL today. My son, 13, loves fishing and wants to do one of the fishing excursions. The rest of us would rather do other things. Does anyone know if a 13 old would be allowed to go on a fishing trip without a parent? There are other excursions that are billed as teen trips, and the kids can obviously go on those by themselves.
I'm a little uneasy, reading how HAL mostly appeals to adults. My kids are well-behaved. I'm just concerned that they make friends or they will be bored. There is a club with a teen age group. Anyone have teens that went on this trip?
May 8th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Yes do expect few kids on HAL, but your kids are old enough to entertain themselves. My son loved HAL but was a few years younger, excellent program geared to Alaska travel and plenty of culture information and activities. As for your fishing trip. I would contact Northern Lights out of Ketchikan and inquire what their policy is. They are a well run operation that my family has used several times. I would definately be at the marina when the boat is scheduled to return to pick him up and not have him meet you elsewhere. Later in August there is great fishing right from the marina- inquire from the visitor center if this is any good in June??? www.visit-ketchikan.com
May 8th, 2003, 11:44 AM

We were in Alaska last year with boys 11 and 15. They went halibut and salmon fishing, but Dad went too both days and I went on the halibut excusion. I wouldn't have felt comfortable sending them, esp on the halibut trip, without a parent. They are really well travelled and pretty independent, but I think a parent needs to be there. The sea was pretty rough, and the boat they go on is small. My youngest got seasick. Also, realize that for halibut at least, they either beat the fish to death with a club or shoot it in the head, very gruesome. They don't show that part on the tv fishing shows. I'm not telling you this to discourage you from going, but you need to know upfront. My husband was aware, but I was pretty surprised.
May 8th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information. Good warnings, RachelG. I had no idea! If there's fishing off the marina, that may satisfy our son. I'll do some more research. Thanks for the name of the outfit in Ketchitan, BudgetQueen. I called HAL and there are 70 kids scheduled to go between the ages of 13 and 17, so I think they shouldn't have any trouble making buddies. I'm starting to get psyched!
May 9th, 2003, 01:26 PM

Take lots of warm clothes (layers) and very good rain gear. You'll have a great time.