Reload this Page >

Alaska Cruise for Older Single Woman Travelling Alone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:20 AM
Geri

Hello,<BR>Wondering if you can help. I am looking to go on an Alaskan Curise by myself. I am in my 60's and looking for R&amp;R and great views. I do not wish to venture off the ship but to enjoy myself on board. I would like to relax, have a great view (I am think balcony cabin) and enjoy meeting nice people over dinner to chat with. I would prefer to be in calmer water, so I don't know if the Inside Passage would be good. I am not looking to spend a bundle but somewhere in the middle would be fine. Thank you for your help.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 02:17 PM
m

I would pick HAL first and Princess second. We have been on HAL with single women cruisers and they have all said that this was not their first single, and were treated very well, and have done it again.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Theresa

I also agree - I would consider HAL first, Princess second and possibly Celebrity.<BR><BR>I sailed RCCL last year on inner passage and there were tons of kids (and they were not behaving)! More kids then I have seen on many Caribbean cruises. I would discourage you from going with RCCL for this reason.<BR><BR>We encountered no rough waters what so ever doing the inner passage - I am not sure if it is known for being rough but ours was very calm.<BR><BR>I strongly encourage you to sign up for some tours through the cruiseline. Some of the best things I saw in Alaska were on tours. If you go with the ship - there will be tons of people you can hang out with. I have traveled solo before on cruises and find this an excellent way to meet people.<BR><BR>I think you will be missing &quot;alaska&quot; by staying on the ship. There are some affordable tours and some very expensive tours. I choose the affordable ones and thoroughly enjoyed seeing Alaska.<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Paull Therault

Holland America caters to the &quot;young&quot; single females. They have gentlemen hosts. You will be in your element but expect competition.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Geri

I am not looking for competition or male &quot;comanionship&quot;. I am a single grandma and not in the best of health as I can't walk around like I used to. I'm just looking to get away and relax and meet people to talk to. I don't want to feel uncomfortable being alone, as it is my first solo trip. I went on a Carnival cruise last year with my sons and grandchildren - big mistake. It was nice being with them but did not like it at all. I'm looking for something more subdued where I can feel comfortable being by myself and taking in the beauty with not much walking.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:40 PM
andy

Geri-<BR><BR>Stick with Holland America--they are geared more to single women and would seat you at a table with your peers...<BR><BR>Even if you cannot manuver around by tons of walking, some of the excursions are done by bus tours and you do NOT have to get off if you don't want to----and you will still be able to see everything that those getting off the bus will experience...<BR><BR>TO go to Alaska and NOT get off the ship would be doing yourself a great disservice- as the scenery and excustions are the entire reason for going that far NORTH....<BR><BR>If you are looking to just cruise and meet nice people and chill out- then do the CARRBIBBEAN on Holland America...

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Theresa

I tend to agree about getting off the ship.<BR><BR>In Skagway - there is the White Pass Rail train. You only have to walk about a block or two to get on the train and then you are on the train all morning (or afternoon). What you see is fantastic!<BR><BR>There are other bus tours that will allow you to see a lot without having to walk far. You really need to get off the ship to enjoy Alaska.<BR><BR>Have a great trip and definitely post what you decide to do.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Paul Therault

A word of advice. Best to book the White Pass Railroad from the ship. They buy most of the seats and then give back the unsold ones to the railroad. It is a very popular excursion.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Geri

Thank you everyone,<BR><BR>I just booked Holland America on the ms Zaandam for May, Inside Passage. I am very excited about it, and your info regarding Holland definately put me in the right direction. I got a great price thru my TA and I am thrilled! I don't have a balcony cabin but I do have an outside stateroom with a window category C. Thanks again for all your help and insite.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Theresa

Have a great time!<BR><BR>This will be a trip of a lifetime for you