Search

ALASKA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 11:26 AM
LARRY

ALASKA

WE JUST CAME BACK FROM ALASKA ON THE MERCURY ANY QUESTIONS? LOVED IT!

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 12:54 PM
Kimberley

How was the weather/temperature? Thanks!

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 03:56 PM
LARRY

COOL IN THE 60,S SOME DAYS BEAUTIFUL SAOME DAYS RAIN IN THE AM

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 06:12 AM
DougH

How was the Mercury? I sail on her to Alaska 9/10. This will be third criuise to Alaska so I know what to expect there, but have not sailed with celebrity yet. Do you know how late the Salmon are running? My first two cruise were earlier in the season and missed them both times. I'm afariad I'm too late this time, but can at least hope.

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 07:12 AM
elaine

Doug, <BR>Could you tell me the other two lines you cruised to Alaska? Am planning in advance. <BR>Thanks!

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 09:58 AM
Denise

Hey Doug, <BR>I'm also going to Alaska on 9/10 with Celebrity. Only I'm taking the Galaxy Roundtrip. I've been on the Mercury previously (gorgeous) can't wait for the Galaxy!!!

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 11:15 AM
Kimberley

One more question. Was there a lot of snow on the mountains? Thanks in advance?

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 04:02 PM
LARRY

ALOT OF SNOW IN THE MOUNTAINS! TAKE THE TRAMWAY IN JEANOU (SP) AND HIKE UP TO THE SUMMIT ALL THE SANOW YOU WANT. DON'T MISS HUBBARD GLACIER I HOPE THE WEATHER IS NICE.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 07:06 PM
Scott

Is there a significant difference between the northbould/southbound cruises and the Inside Passage cruises other than the calls of port? Has anyone booked a triple? Are the rooms comfortable for three? Is there a significant difference between the inside cabins and the outside cabins to justify the cost difference?

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 06:41 AM
Hilary

Scott, the biggest difference between the outside cabins and the inside ones is the window! Typically, inside cabins are identical in size and configuration to the standard outside ones, they are just lacking the window. The biggest drawback to inside cabins is that you never know if it is 6am or 6pm since when the light is off it is pitch black. I would not book an inside cabin since I love the windows (and verandas) way too much. &lt;G&gt; <BR> <BR>As far as traveling with 3 in a cabin, it will depend on the ship. With Celebrity, both the Mercury and Galaxy have Cat. 3 cabins which are considerably larger than the other cabins (not including suites) and would fit 3 very comfor

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 11:33 AM
Scott

Thanks for the information. What about the difference between the Inside Passage and the one-way cruises between Seward and Vancouver? Any assistance?

Old Aug 30th, 1999, 02:14 PM
LARRY

WE STAYED A COUPLE OF DAYS IN VANCOVER IT WAS GREAT LOOKING FOWARD TO THE GLACIERS WHEN YOU GO SOUTH YOU START WITH THE GLACIERS HAVE FUN!!!

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 03:31 PM
Sallie

Which line is the best Princess or Holland and which route is best the Inside Passage (Glacier Bay) and Skayway or the route that goes to Ketichan and Hubbard Glacier. We are trying to decide which cruise line and which tour to book.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 06:43 PM
Elyse

To Anyone: What is the best way to see Alaska? So many cruises to choose from. I've seen the cruise tours. Are they worth the extra money spent? Air fare is high and I was told it was higher with the one ways(leaving from Vancouver to cruise and then returning from Ankorage) Any tips? I'm planning on going Sept. 2000.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 09:22 AM
John

For Elyse, <BR>A thousand possible answers, but if time is available, my vote would be to take the Alaska State Ferry from Bellingham, Washington (near the Canadian border north of Seattle) up the inside passage to Juneau, following the same route as the tour ships (but no Glacier Bay and no dessert buffet) but at a fraction of the cost, then use the ferry system's "southeast-southwest inter-tie" route up to Seward (open sea but a new ship - most of the cruises don't go past the southeast part of the State), then a land-based tour (or better yet rent a car and take off) through the southcentral and interior regions - Anchorage, Mt. McKinley, etc. If time and money permit, a float plane trip to a fishing camp or some other introduction to the bush really ought to be included in any tour of Alaska, but there will always be more to see. Drop the car and repeat the ferry bit south, or fly. It would be a tremendous trip, but not much like one of the big cruise tours. <BR>

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 06:07 PM
April

Sallie, <BR>My husband has gone with Princess and Holland America to Alaska and liked them both. You probably can't go wrong with either one. <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 06:02 PM
Stewart Garcia

We sailed with friends on the Legend of the Seas, RCCL in July '98. While the service and the ship were excellent, I consider this is no way to actualy see Alaska. In oher words, go for the cruise not for the culture. The best way is to ferry up to Anchorage and take tours from there to all the glaciers and parks and whale watching. The tours on the ship are first, over priced and second, limited in depth of observation. <BR> <BR>As far as the ship itself, while food and amenities excellent, night life is non-existant. <BR> <BR>Dont miss out on a visit to Victoria on your way back. Well worth it.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 03:55 AM
Marilyn

Stewart, <BR>We took the Legend of the Seas four years ago and i couldn't agree with you more about the lack of nightlife and the disappointment in seeing the real Alaska. My take was that Royal Carribbean just never adjusted their SOP to the different clientele and conditions found in Alaska. The staff seemed at a loss without the ability to hawk pina coladas on a sunny deck or have stuff your bathing suit with fruit contests. <BR>However, we just returned from a similar cruise to Alaska on the Dawn Princess, and we couldn't have been more pleased. <BR>There were more options for shore excurisions and the quality was much higher. The naturalist on the cruise, Brent Nixon, was better and more experienced than any I have ever heard. He was able to cover a broad spectrum of interest levels and varied comprehension of wildlife, glaciers, history, etc. He was not only informative, but also extremely entertaining. The capatin of the ship went out of aaand diverted from his course to give the passengers an opportunity to see seals, whales and other wildlife that happened to appear along the way. <BR>We traveled with my husbands parents and we were both able to find activities that were appropritae for our interests. We enjoyed the shows and the variety of lounges. <BR>On the Legend, although there are a variety of lounges, they all blended together with the only difference being on which level they were located. Also, the forced flow of traffic through the atrium and other lounges took away from their intimacy. Not so on the Princess. Depending upon your mood, you could find a comfort zone of entertainment to suit your needs.

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 06:21 PM
Fran

<BR>Elyse: <BR> <BR>Took an Alaskan cruise in May, I used my miles with American. Even tho it is to and from different cities, it was still only 25,000. They also allowed me a stop over so I stayed in LA for 3 days for no extra miles. Great Deal! I did get in early and spent 2 days in Victoria - Gorgeous. I felt the tours offered from the ship were excellent. Other passengers also enjoyed their tours. You can, however get the same tours once on shore, or at least alot of them. The only guarantees are from the ship.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 06:56 PM
Judy

Larry <BR>My husband and I are booked on the Mercury for an Alaskan cruise southbound on June 1. What can you tell me about the ship? Which excursions are best in which ports? Will we get the opportunity to book our excursions before the cruise? Thanks in advance. Judy