Age / Lifestyle on River Cruises

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My husband and I are early 30's and have done lots of traveling, but never with big groups. I've heard a couple of river cruise operators (Uniworld, Grand Circle) cater primarily to retirees. I'm wondering whether the same is true of other companies like Viking, Deilman, Maupin... are there any companies with a higher percentage of younger (30s and 40s) travelers, or will we be the youngest by far on almost any trip of this type? We're fine being with a diverse group, we just don't want to feel out of place.

Also, does anyone have comments on whether it feels restrictive to travel and sightsee with a group if you're used to being on your own and setting your own agenda? I do love having the benefit of guided tours, I just don't want to feel like we're part of a herd the entire time, so it would be nice to have a chance to wander separately and explore.

Thanks for any insight!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:02 AM

We just went on a Viking Christmas market cruise in late November. I'm also in my early 30's and I would say that the majority of the passengers were much older, but there were several other couples onboard who were our age so it was still a good mix. I wasn't even the youngest! I don't think you're likely to find any river cruise line with a high percentage of passengers in their 30's-40's. The average age will be more like 50's-60's. I believe Grand Circle and Vantage are two lines that cater specifically to older passengers.

As far as feeling restricted by the group, you're free to wander on your own and shouldn't feel that you have to ever stay with the group. We participated in about half of the included tours and skipped some of the other ones when we didn't feel like joining the group. The nice thing about Viking and I don't know if this pertains to all of the river cruise lines, is that they make it very clear that you can start out on a tour and leave the tour at anytime. And since most of the tours are already included, you don't have to plan ahead or sign up for anything. Just show up in the morning if you feel like it.

I posted a very long trip report if you'd like to read it:

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/review...?id=0000002713

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:04 AM

One more thing, we were on a 7 night cruise. I think the longer the cruise, the higher the average age tends to be.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Patty! I'll definitely check out your report. We'd like to do a Danube cruise and see some places in Eastern Europe that might be harder to get to on our own in a short time, so the cruise option seems like a good one. We'd probably do either 7 or 10 nights, nothing terribly long. Thanks again!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:49 AM

My fiance and I (both under 30) are looking at doing a European river cruise for our honeymoon, and had the same concerns. If you should find additional information in your trip planning please share, and I'll do the same. Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Kmber- If you were doing a River Cruise for your honeymoon, you will probably NOT see people your age..IF it bothers you to cruise with a bunch of OLDER folks ( average age is 40-60), then this is not the type of cruise I would recommend for you..

If you are looking for a smaller cruise ship, geared for yuppies--ages 30-60, then Windsurf ( part of Windstar cruise line) is the ship for you..Intimate, romantic 4 masted sailing yacht doing the Med and going into small romantic ports...with no need for coat and tie and cocktail clothes--Just casually elegant clothing...That would be my choice//////////////////
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:45 PM

While each passenger load is always made up of different ages and cultures, I have to agree with everyone else, that the average age on a river cruise in Europe is going to be in the 50 to 70 range.

My wife and I did the Amadeus Symphony this last summer and went our own way at every port without any problems whatsoever. However, the river cruises are really more in competition with motor coach tours than ocean going cruises as they are focused on sightseeing in each port. I enjoyed the cruise, but then I am in my fifties..VBG

Here is a link to the review
http://www.cruisereviews.com/Amadeus.../Symphony1.htm

Note that there are a lot of pictures in it so it takes a minute to load.

What ever you decide. Have a great cruise.

Tom Ogg
http://www.CruiseReviews.com
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 03:13 PM

I recently returned from a GCT Danube cruise, and while there were quite a few older passengers there were also a number of younger ones--especially mother/daughter duos.

Since I have a problem knee and couldn't keep up with my friends and the guided tours I just went off on my own, using taxis part of the time, and had a great time. But in the instances when I stayed with the group I never, ever felt herded, and I'm used to traveling very independently with my husband.