Accommodations for quadriplegic?

Jun 25th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Dan Florez

Accommodations for quadriplegic?

I am quadriplegic. I have an assistant help me bathe and dress and I have voice activation software to help me correspond.

I want to take a cruise without my personal assistant. Will Royal Caribbean accommodate my disability? Will they provide someone to assist me bathe and get dressed? I emailed RCCL but they have not yet responded.

Jun 25th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Nancy Druthers

Dan, I can tell you by reading your subject line that you will get some childish responses to this question. prepare yourself. I believe that your TA might be able to help give some assistance.

Jun 25th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Beevis

Nancy, will the travel agent help him dress?

huh huh

Jun 25th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Theresa

Here is a website for you:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/asp/rc/ie/accessible_seas.asp?s=C51C13CCAA

Here is a phone number for you to call - it is for special needs passengers: (800) 722-5472 x34492

Email address for special needs:
[email protected]

------------------

I hope this helps. I know of someone through someone (not personally) who was with a group who included a quad in their group. I don't think they traveled alone though.

I would either call or have someone call the above number.

There are also some other websites which have disabled sections which may be of more help then this board.

www.cruisecritic.com
www.cruisemates.com

Good luck!
Theresa

Jun 25th, 2002, 09:44 PM
gail

I think you would have more luck trying to get RCCL to let your personal care provider (?PCA) travel with you for free or very cheap.

I know you would prefer to travel alone, but I doubt they would provide all the assist you need. And do you really want to have to explain your needs and preferences to a total stranger - or more likely, many total strangers during the course of your trip?

Jun 25th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Paul Therault

Listen to Theresa. There are companies that service cruise ships. They do offer medical help services. Those that must direct medications must be nurses and not companions.

All cruise lines have special needs departments. Get off the net and make a call. If you are not able, have someone else call for you.

Good luck,

Paul