Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

A few hours in New Orleans after docking...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ship arrives in a.m. (Carnival Conquest), but flight does not leave from MSY until 4:55 p.m. Figure we should leave (by cab or shuttle)for the airport by 2 p.m.?? Any ideas for a few hours in the port area-- restaurants/walks/shopping? We'll be in N.O. for a few days pre-cruise also, so this will be our last chance to enjoy and say good-bye to the city. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

-replies anyone?
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 04:31 AM

Since you'll be there in advance, I'd recommend taking a tour of the city. I cannot remember the name of the company but when you're in the French Quarter ask anyone where the tour buses leave from and they'll point you to a station that specializes in historic tours and area tours of all kinds. The tours are as short as an hour or two to all day. You might want to do one of those when you get off the ship. Or, the ship leaves from just a short distance (you could walk it or take a cab) from the French Quarter. You could spend that last couple of hours walking the Quarter, having lunch or just window shopping, and yes, there's a lot more to do than just visit bars. Around that area are lots of antique shops and places where you can walk into bars and just listen to music, etc.
In short, your time before the cruise in New Orleans will give you lots of ideas on what to do after the cruise.
One question you did not ask, and I don't know if I could answer it is what to do with your luggage during that time. I know some hotels will keep it for you, perhaps the one you stay at pre-cruise could help you.
Enjoy the cruise and New Orleans!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:43 PM

When you get off the ship there is a mall with many shops, and restaurants. They also have a place where you can store your luggage in the mall. I think the mall is called Riverwalk.(?) There is also a cafe Monde and I would want to have a beniet and coffee before I left NO. It is exactly what I did for my farewell to the city. Otherwise as all ready mentioned take a short tour of the city but if you are there pre cruise you have all ready seen quite a bit. We took a tour by Isabel we went to the plantations and it was a wonderful tour. We enjoyed it very much. Have fun.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Hold and Dian! This is exactly the kind of information I'd been seeking! Great tip to inquire about left luggage at the pre-cruise hotel, for after the cruise--thanks for having the experience to anticipate this question. I'll ask the hotel; o/w leaving it at River Walk would be so convenient. Without your responses, I'd not have known about those necessary options. (Theat's the kind of detail I obsess about--where to leave the suitcases so we don't have to drag them around with us.) Thanks also, to both of you, for ideas about tours pre or post cruise.
Can hardly wait for the next few weeks to pass!