Reload this Page >

3rd and 4th passsenger special rates

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 10:20 AM
karen

Has anyone come accross a cruise line that has very good rates for 3rd or 4th passengers. We would like to take our 13 and 17 yr old on a cruise in Mar or Apr/03. We would love to go to the Southern Caribbean. We took our 3 children last year and had to get 2 rooms but thought this time we would be able to get by with one room. Last year we went to the Western Caribbean and our kids fell in love with cruising. Our middle son said after the third day, it is so neat waking up and having a new country to explore. Thanks Karen

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:02 AM
Peter

Karen - we have cruised with our two teenage daughters for the past four years - they are now 17 and 14. I have found rates as low as port fees only and as high as a couple hundred less than one and two. My limited experience points to RCCL for the best 3rd and 4th rates. Princess tends to be a click higher because they limit the number of children "age groups" on each sailing, so they have the best of the supply/demand curve. Princess also charges more per 3rd/4th as you go up the cabin chain (inside to outside to balcony). Celebrity just doesn't seem to offer very many special 3rd/4th rates that I've seen and Carnival is just not to our preference.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:00 PM
Ginger

Dear Karen,<BR><BR>The best time to get awesome 3rd/4th pax rates is in the fall. When you say March/April, you are talking about Spring Break and the cruise lines start to up their rates. The earlier in March you can go, the better, though.<BR><BR>Royal Caribbean and (ugh!) Carnival have the best rates and your kids would love them. If doing Southern Carib, definitely look at Adventure of the Seas on RCCL. Awesome ship!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:29 PM
Karen

Thanks for the advice. I had not seen anything on the cruise sites about 3 or 4 passenger rates. Any other suggestions as to itinerary would be appreciated. One island my husband and I have never been to is Antigua. Anyone know of a ship that would stop there?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:38 PM
Susan

the best rates that we have found for 3rd and 4th rate would be CCL and RCCL. i will say that 5 people in 1 room is not going to be fun. it will be very tight and only 1 bathroom. good luck

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 09:04 PM
don't knock

.... will say that 5 people in 1 room is not going to be fun.....<BR><BR>depends on who the other 4 are?

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 01:50 AM
Paul Therault

Costa - 60 bucks for kids in the Caribbean and 160 in Europe (plus taxes and port).<BR><BR>Carnival charges big bucks for kids.<BR>Adults cheap. Great marketing ploy.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:39 AM
Peter

karen - be careful of Costa. I did a lot of research one year as I planned to sail one of their new ships (Atlantica I believe) and most of the message boards warned that their food is very European and of course Italian. The American pallate is used to completely different spices etc than what you will experience on these ships. The % of Americans is lower than the other major lines as well. It might be a little chancey to book with them just to get a couple $100 off the 3rd and 4th rates.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:02 AM
Hopethishelps

Karen,<BR>If you get the specific cruise booklet from the different cruise lines (you can order online through their websites or any travel agent can give them to you if you stop in & seem like you MIGHT book a cruise with them), they list ships, itineraries, and prices, like RCCL - Caribbean. When you see the pricing page, down at the bottom, there are little footnotes that tell you which cabins have capabilities for 3rd or 4th persons. On the pricing page it should give you 3rd & 4th person pricing.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:28 AM
Ginger

Dear Hopethishelps,<BR><BR>I hope this helps- kiss my arse, you ignorant butthole! Travel agents are not your personal brochure fullfilment centre! Some companies limit the number of brochures we get each year and you self bookers prevent us from getting more!<BR><BR>As for your information, you are so completely wrong! I tell people, "Look at brochure, but don't believe the price as it is the worse case scenario."<BR><BR>And the prices vary depending on the time of the year, the 3rd/4th rate is different. Also, with Carnival, the type of cabin you book can change the rate. A five day next summer has a 3rd/4th rate of $330pp for an inside. That same cruise in the fall has $110pp.<BR><BR>This is why people who don't know a whole lot should not give information.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:51 AM
Peter

Ginger - go back to the travel agent/tour forum. We don't want you here. We are quite capable of talking about our cruise experiences, giving advice to one another and occassionally fighting amongst ourselves without your ignorant, biased babbling.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:35 AM
Peter

Yes, never been on Costra - or Costa either as I mentioned in my post.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:36 AM
Mary

Peter: I cannot believe your previous post about foreign food not be palatable to Americans! What would you eat in Europe? Would you eat at McDonalds while over there (though their McDonalds are quite different from ours)? I absolutely can not believe you said that. And I thought you were well-travelled. Personally, I've experienced some of the best food while visiting Europe.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:38 AM
Ginger

Peter- biased?!?!? Is it biased when Disney says they can no longer send brochures because we have used up our allotment for the year? When Princess says, "Hold on, let me see how many cruises you have sold," that is not biased.<BR><BR>Ignorant? Use your adjectives correctly, my dear. Most people are ignorant of the prices in brochures. Most people don't realize it is less to cruise in the fall. <BR><BR>I am not sitting here going "Book with me! Fodorites are all stupid!" I am giving my knowledge in the hopes that it helps.<BR><BR>Maybe Karen learned something new. If so, cool. Otherwise I would not be wasting my time. Maybe someone says, "Hey, maybe travel agents aren't so bad." All the better.<BR><BR>But "Hope this helps" gave totally inaccurate information and I wanted to help clear the air. However, that comment about making them think we might get a booking out of it burns my butt. People can book directly, or on websites, but when something goes wrong or they need information, they come to us. We have a job to do. We like helping, but don't blatantly abuse us or our knowledge. <BR><BR>So who is ignorant now?

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:51 AM
Peter

Mary - I've been to Europe several times and also know what I'm talking about. Its a fact that different people have different tastes. Italians season their food differently than Americans. Some people like you have no problem with it. Some people like me do. If karen is like you, no problem; if she is like me, she needs to know about this.<BR><BR>The "regular" mass market cruise lines tailor their services, food and entertainment for Americans - they'd be foolish to do otherwise. Costa doesn't.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:27 PM
hopethishelps

Ginger,<BR>No one was talking to you. I have been on 6 cruises, all through travel agents. The last was when I went into an agency to get some brochures, liked the agent and thought she might actually be knowledgeable, and booked a European cruise for 6. So, "Kiss my Ass", as you so tastefully said. One never knows where the next booking is coming from. And, I have been on 4 of these cruises with my 3 children sharing a cabin. Almost everyone knows that the brochure price is not the actual price one pays. So before you go insulting others, take a chill pill & count to 10. I have yet to find a TA who is knowledgeable and competent.<BR>That, my dear Ginger, is why many cruisers have resorted to booking their own cruises.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:09 PM
Ginger

Dear Mr/Mrs Hopethishelps,<BR><BR>You have booked all those cruises through travel agents yet you have yet to find one that is competent. Kinda doesn't make sense.<BR><BR>As for the chill pill, can you try and understand my anger at people using us for information? I had a lady come in and say, "Tell me about the Voyager." I showed her pictures, described the ship, and gave her brochures. As she was leaving, she said, "I am already booked and just wanted information." I had clients waiting to hear from me and I spent time with this woman who did not realize I had a job to do. She could have not said anything about being booked somewhere else and I would have been blissfully ignorant. It just makes us feel like our job is a joke to people.<BR><BR>And telling someone to look at the rates in the brochure is incorrect. You said look at them and then change your tune later.<BR><BR>I overreacted earlier, but it makes my blood boil when people slap us in the face. What was the point in saying you can get brochures from agents if they think they MIGHT get a booking from it? <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:13 PM
Ginger

PS, that bit about "no one was talking to you" was hysterical! Uh, it is an open forum and anyone can add their 2 cents!!!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:43 PM
Paul Therault

Ginger is correct. When a travel agent calls Disney they say "do you know how much brochres cost?" "We can send you 6." <BR><BR>See how destitute Disney is. They really do not have any money.<BR><BR>Please do not listen to Peter. I know hundreds that have sailed the 5-star Costa Atlantica. The food is great, not Italian at all, and the street festivals and toga night are a hoot.<BR>He has a file of everyones negative comments and just repeats them. He really should learn how to cut and paste.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:26 PM
Peter

The opinion that I have of Costa and their food comes from the same source yours comes from - others! You've never sailed with them either. You've never eaten their food or been to their toga night or street festivals - you're getting your information second hand; just like I did. Go to some of the other cruise boards and do a search for Costa Cruises. You'll find exactly what I did. People with positive things to say and negative. The most consistent negative is that they cater to the Europeans with their food, announcements, etc. Their steaks and other beef dishes are tough and tasteless.<BR><BR>At least I tell the truth about what I've experienced myself and what I get from others. Reading your posts you'd think you rode Randi's horses in Mazatlan, had your children in the children's programs on the "modern era" ships, personally experienced life threatening situations while on non-ship sponsored excursions in Europe, etc. etc. etc. Like I've said before - one of my biggest criticisms of you is your embellishment of your cruise experiences. Basically you lie about things that are presented as fact. That makes you a pretty disgusting human being in my book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -