Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

3 Q's: Venice to Barcelona - which side offers the best view? window or balcony? June 16 or 28?

Search

3 Q's: Venice to Barcelona - which side offers the best view? window or balcony? June 16 or 28?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Time Cruiser - looking to book a cruise in June 2008 from Venice to Barcelona and am wondering which side of the boat would be best to book for the best view - starboard or port side? Also, I've heard midship is best, but does it make much of a difference and is it worth the additional money to get a veranda/balcony vs. a window? I just wonder how much time we'd actually spend on a veranda... most itineraries seem pretty time intensive on shore. Lastly, if I'm choosing between a June 16 and a June 28 12-day mediterranean cruise... will there be much of a difference in weather or tourism intensity between the two dates? Thanks in advance!!!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Except for being in port, most of the cruising time you can't see the shore anyway, so I don't think it makes much difference which side you are on. Midship is fine if you have any kind of sensitivity to movement (seasickness). Bow sometimes has vibration from thrusters when coming into port, stern engine noise, nothing really to be concerned about, you are on a moving ship.

Balcony/window? Personal choice. Maybe we spend more time in our cabin than most, but I love a balcony and spend a lot of port time on it as well as entering and departing the port. I also like the idea that I can have some fresh air occasionally in the room. In the mornings I usually open the door and let the breeze blow in for 15 minutes (otherwise, it can mess up the A/C and cruise lines don't like you to leave it open for long). End of June will be busier for the most part.
Cruising is a wonderful way to see a little bit of a lot of places. Have fun.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Charli!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 02:11 AM

We love having a balcony, and would recommend it highly if your budget allows it. We took a 12-day Mediterranean cruise and had three days at sea plus two more when we did not go ashore. The relaxing time spent on our own balcony was heaven. And arriving at a port early in the morning and watching the city unfold as we lounged on our balcony with coffee was a great way to greet the day.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:41 AM

We had a balcony on our Med cruise and just loved it! We'd have our wine in the evenings watching the sun set, slept with the door open listening to the waves and awoke to coming into port. What an experience. It was the same price as oceanview, so why not?