I need help picking a cabin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inside or outside cabin? 4th level same level as main dining room and beneath shopping level, can your hear people walking above you?
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM

We try to slect a cabin on a floor with cabins above and below us. We love a balcony, are OK with an inside, didn't think an ocean view with no balcony was worth more than an inside.

We like to stay midships as low as possible to decrease the chance that my husband will get seasick.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:16 AM

Also check out location of elevators (not too close - drunks coming back at 3 AM are noisy).
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 04:13 AM

Where are you cruising to? I remember how nice it was to have a balcony, esp. when we cruised Alaska. Just to sit out there and view Tracy Arm as we passed thru it was worth it. Its an intangible and more $$ but its worth it to us. Generally speaking for motion issues go low and amidships.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We have a choice of port hole on the second floor or inside on the 4th. I think we will go with the inside as it is cheaper!
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM

how much cheaper? port hole is so much better than inside you wouldnt believe it.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

It would be $200 per person and that is for the second level only for that price, it would be a lot more if we wanted a port hole higher than second level. Is it really worth it?
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:33 AM

Well lets put it this way. The extra cost of a porthole and then a balcony is there for a reason and the cruise lines sell them out so most think so. Is this your first cruise BTW?
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:55 PM

We usually pick an ocean-view cabin on a lower deck, midship. My wife gets seasick easily, and the midship cabins provide a better ride than others. Aft, and you will probably get noise or vibration from the engines; in front, an unpleasant ride if the waves are high. On one of our cruises, we were on the lowest deck, and with rough seas, we barely felt the movement. But on deck 12 at dinner, people were sliding all over the place. We like a window or at least a porthole so that we can see where we are. Also, think about the direction that the ship will be heading. We are going on a South American cruise around Cape Horn in December, and I figure the ship will be going south most of the time, so I chose a midship cabin with window on the starboard side (so hopefully we will see more of the landscape) on deck 6. A similar cabin was not available on a lower deck. (This is the Norwegian "Dream.&quot
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Usually, if you have a porthole, unless you are standing, all you can see is the sky. If you do choose a porthole cabin, be sure to close your curtains before retiring as I once woke up after the ship docked and we were just about level with the dock!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:11 AM

When you are on cruises you are hardly in your cabins there is so much to do on board and at the diff ports of call, in my experience you pay more for your cabin the higher up the ship you are. When you think about it if you have a bit of a rough sea during the night you are better of being down below anyway , as there is not so much sway... but with the stabalisers you get a pretty smooth ride wherever you go. But the first 5 or 6 levels have all the same cabins...because we peeked in... its just the higher up the ship it costs you more. hope this helps
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 02:21 AM

I have only cruised twice, both times with a balcony. I'm now spoiled and would not cruise unless I could get one. But if your budget does not allow this, at least get a porthole. I've been told by people who got inside cabins that they could not tell if it was night or day when they got up, and never knew what the whether was like. They were quite disoriented.

In picking a cabin, don't get too far away from an elevator, and check to see where the laundry room is. In both cases, you won't want to walk too far.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Not all ships have laundry rooms and I personally have never done laundry on a cruise. And I tend to avoid areas near stairs and elevators as they are noisier with more foot traffic.

Different preferences
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:44 AM

We had balcony and loved it. It was same price as oceanview on our particular cruise. We met some people who had inside. They didn't mind it, except they had no concept of time of day with no daylight. We were just down from the laundry, but it wasn't bad.