Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Young Island - anyone been there? please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 05:12 PM
steve

we are thinking of going to young island in december or maybe next may. anyone been there lately? any info on the resort would be appreciated.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 05:04 PM
pamr

Where is it?

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 07:32 AM
Marilyn

I haven't been there, but I know that there is a review with photos at www.scubamom.com

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Louis

We were there during carinval several years ago. Young Island is a small private island only 100 yards or so from St. Vicent that is owned by one of the local native M.D.s. He is an outstanding man in the local community. It is full of plants, birds and animals. The rooms are pleasant and comforatable. The ones on the hill have a fair climb to get to them but they have a splendid view. There is more than one dinning area and there is some entertainment. Snorkeling is not the greatest but swimming is pleasant. The food is good. There is a little boat that goes between St. Vincent and Young island continuously. Young Island is an excellent spot from which to visit many of the sites on St. Vincent. They have some excellent package rates off season. If you have not already check their web site, it is www.youngisland.com. It is a good value. You might on occassion hear the jump up music from the bar on the mailand at night. We enjoyed our stay there. There was a couple of ballet dancers from England that were bothered by the music from the local bar at night during carnival. This is the most action packed time of the year in St. Vincent. It did not bother us.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 12:00 PM
joan

Steve: <BR> <BR>we stayed there several years ago also. Loved it! Very romantic, kind of reminded me of Anse Chastanet. The food was very good, every meal they brought a big board with five different kinds of homemade breads, coconut, pumpkin, etc. Hummingbirds would flit in and out of the gazebo where we took our breakfast. The (standard) room was romantic with an outdoor shower, there was a cute swimup bar, the people were lovely. There is a little island behind Young Island where they had a weekly manager's cocktail party and it had a staircase going up to the top, all lit with candles... St. Vincent is wild and untourist as you can get. If you do go, be sure to rent a jeep and drive to the northeastern tip of the island for a four-hour jaunt back in time. Also see the Falls of Baleine.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 05:15 PM
Louis

Just an added comment, a good way to see the falls at Baleine is by the boat the boat excurions they offer. Coming back we had a snorkel stop and a pod of dolphins on our bow. It was lovely as soon as my wife got some coffee on the boat first thing in the morning. She stole some from the captain. I am afraid to say that she was a little hung over. Those were different years. We now look at fish and hunt for glasses. This was a plain old chunky boat, not one of these high speed things. It is lovely not to be in a hurry.

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 03:58 PM
Linda

Can't understand why anyone likes Young Island. No beach you can hear the dogs barking in the town across the bay. The pool is no larger that a bathtub. If you are in one of the higher rooms and forget your suntan lotion, the hike back will leave you breathless. The rooms are lovely and the showers are fun, but you can keep the rest. Try Little Dix, Caneel, Meridian Club,Light House Reef Resort in Belize.

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 08:17 PM
Louis

Correct, there is no real beach at Young Island. For us this is a plus as we both hate beaches since they are full of sand and they do not offer good snorkeling areas. The snorkeling is not good there either and I swam entirely around the island which is not that easy as it gets very shallow in spots. Sand is not our thing as it gets into everything. However it is a necessary evil at most sea shores. I agree Young Island is not our favorite place but we enjoyed our stay there. Its major values are that it is a comfortable place to stay, with good food, and attractive grounds. I think I indicated that it can be noisy there. Natural sounds do not bother us a bit although man-made sounds can be a drag at times. The insect noise at Caneel Bay can be almost deafening at times. I just love the crow of a rooster. The trouble with the English ballet dancer was that she kept moving to the drum which she heard from the bar at night during carnival. Various people need different things. The flora and fauna there are excellent. It is a key place from which to explore the island of St. Vincent, its characteristics and its people. It was most interesting to be in town during Carnival. Little Dix, Caneel Bay, Guana Island, Drakes Anchorage, Peter Island are among more up scale places that we have spent several days at in the past just to name a few. In All truth for that type of resort, we much prefer Fiji. Right now is an excellent time to find discounted rates there due to the coup. You can get a 30% discount at Turtle Island which will put most places in the Caribbean to shame in my estimation if you want exclusive resorts. There are several more in that catagory there. Young Island is an attractive place with a lot of people and activity around that is convenient to St. Vincent. Also, their rates are of good value compared to places like Little Dix were rates are very much higher. Perhaps two to one. For beaches, Harbor Island, Turks and Caicos, and Anguilla offer some of the best in the Caribbean to name a few.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 07:04 AM
connie

We spent our 10 year anniversary there in May 1999 and loved it! We got the sail and stay plan. We sailed to Bequiua and Mustique for 2 nights and stayed in the beautiful stone accommodations for 5 nights. The food was very good. It was a great getaway. if you need more info, please do not hestiate to e-mail me. Connie.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 12:05 PM
olga

I am goin to Young Island in 2weeks, please let me know what I should be aware of, I keep seeing that there is no beach?? is there some beach??

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 06:59 PM
Louis

Olga, I hate to say this but, if you are going to Young Island to spend days on a wide and long expanse of beach, you have gone to the wrong place. So, set your mind to look for other charms, which are there and on St. Vincent very nearby. Then you will enjoy your visit. Rest assured that you will find a lot of sun and, I think, a comfortable lounge to expose your skin to much more than it can stand.