Yacht rental in Belize?

Search

Yacht rental in Belize?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yacht rental in Belize?

Last year, a group of us rented a PowerCat out of St. Thomas and we cruised the USVI and BVI.

We've decided to do it again next year but will go with another company (the last one was fine.. but the boat we rented was destoyed in one of the hurricanes).

Anyway, we've decided to rent on in either Tortola or Belize.... but I can't find a charter company in Belize. We're looking for a PowerCat type boat with four cabins... we don't want a sailboat - too much work... ;-)

Anyone know a company in Belize? Anyone ever rented a boat in Belize? how does it compare to cruising the US/BVI?
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Take a look at TMM - they have a base in Belize as well as Tortola.
http://www.sailtmm.com/TMMRoot/BELIZ...n431_specs.cfm

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 10:18 AM

I have done a sailing charter in Belize (as well as many in the BVI), but do not believe that there are any power charters in the area. The two charter companies of which I'm aware -- TMM and Moorings -- don't have powerboats in Belize.

If you should be able to find a power yacht in Belize, you would find it very different from the BVI. You would basically need to prepare yourself to be VERY self-sufficient and conserve resources. Once you get outside of the charter base (either San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, or Placencia), and besides Caye Caulker, you would find little in the way of boater conveniences: no moorings, no dinghy docks, no fuel, no ice, no water, no provisions. Restaurants are few and far between, so you would need to do nearly full provisioning before you go, and plan to cook most meals. The trade-off, of course, is blissful seclusion.

While my trip was not a power charter, if you are interested, you can visit my trip report on my webpage at www.homestead.com/islandtime/MainPage1.html.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 10:21 AM

I stand corrected. From Trudi's post -- which crossed mine -- it does appear that TMM offers a powercat. TMM is a first-class operation. Good luck planning your trip!
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both very much - this is exactly what I was searching for.

Abd the advice on provisioning helps, too. I believe that in the end, this is the reason we will choose to return to the BVI.

thanks again.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 11:34 AM

If you're looking for a change of scenery that is not quite as secluded as Belize, try the Abacos (Out Islands of the Bahamas). Both Nautic Blue (power boat sister of the Moorings) and Florida Yacht Charters offer powerboats. And you'll find a lot more amenities for boaters there, while finding a different vibe than the BVI or Belize -- something halfway between the two.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 12:13 PM

I've just come off the phone from TMM in Tortola and they inform me that Cat-a-mania will now be at the Tortola base rather than the Belize base at the end of this month. Email them at [email protected]. They are a first rate charter company.

Hope it works out.