Wyndham Rose All Inclusive

Dec 11th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Wyndham Rose All Inclusive

I will be travelling to Jamaica in February staying at the Wyndham Rose Resort for a friend's wedding. I will be doing their all-inclusive package deal, because I think this was the most convenience. Has anyone ever done this? How much money should I carry? And what type of free activities can I expect? I will be there for 7 nights, so should I plan on taking day trips to nearby attractions/sites?
Dec 12th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Dec 12th, 2004, 04:40 AM

See Barrett Adventures' site barrettadventures.com for a private guide/exploration service with some of the more interesting trips island-wide.
There's a slide show feature on page 3 which will give you an idea of some of the options -- and there are many, outside the resort, you can and should sample. Figure probably 2-3 trips at most for a week's stay. If you're adventurous, a full day to Port Antonio and another to the South Coast, will take you to totally different parts of Jamaica in terrain, people and your experience on island outside touristland...
Dec 13th, 2004, 05:49 PM
KVR

We are staying at the Wyndam Rose Hall in May, so will be interested in a trip report of your experience when you return.

Right now we are looking ar A-Z Jamaica planners. We are interested in tubing at the YS Falls and going to the Mayfield Falls as well as Margaritaville. Through research on several boards I understand that the Wyndam tour desk host several varities of tours, but I wanted the things we really wanted to see planned up front so we wouldn't miss out.
Dec 15th, 2004, 03:56 PM

See Wyndham Rose Hall Trip Report below.
Dec 16th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Yes I saw the report jray, thanks I just need more info on the activities that are and aren't included in the all inclusive package. This way, I could plan ahead of time if I think that I'd like to do more since I will be there for 7 days.
Dec 16th, 2004, 04:43 AM
cdt

We stayed at the Wyndham on our first trip to Jamaica and used an excursion company that had a desk right at the hotel. We did a trip to Dunn's River Falls; rafting on the Martha Brae River; and a sunset cruise in Montego Bay. Each of these was in the range of $30 to $45 per person (7 years ago).

There are also "plantation tours," snorkeling trips, tours to other falls and other rivers.

We took taxis or shuttles into MoBay a couple of times to swim at Doctor's Cave Beach, which had much clearer, calmer water than the Wyndham. There's an inexpensive snack bar at the beach (which charges a few dollars for admission), and the famed Pork Pit is a short walk away.

I believe the sea kayaks are free to Wyndham guests but golf is extra (and pricey), unless you have a package that includes it. Tennis was free.

Dec 16th, 2004, 05:58 AM

A rule of thumb for all inclusives, all non motorized actvities are included, while motorised activities are extra. Also if it entails leaving the resort it will be additional.
Dec 16th, 2004, 11:04 PM

My wife & I have stayed at the Wyndham 3 times & plan to return in 2005. I always hire a driver for trips off the resort & avoid those offered at the desk. You will get an education, get help purchasing items, & go & leave at your leisure, not some tour guides. Prices, like everything, are negotiable. I highly recommend this mode, you won't regret it.
All-inclusive is the way to go & good service, I believe, should be awarded with a gratuity if you feel it is deserved. The staff doesn't make much and any extra is appreciated.
Glistening Waters is only about 30 minutes from the Wyndham & worth the trip.
I usually take $500 US for spending money & usually bring half back. Hope this helps........Dan
Dec 17th, 2004, 05:33 AM
cdt

Superdan - how do you locate these drivers? (not counting the ones Tivertonhouse is always recommending).

Although I'm usually not an AI person, I agree that it's a good idea at the Wyndham, as the location makes it awkward to access other restaurants.

Dec 17th, 2004, 08:52 AM

It's very important to make sure any driver you hire in Jamaica is PPV certified/insured, which means you're covered should any accident occur.
Flagging a taxi driver off the street
is not recommended on safety grounds and on knowledge of area beyond the obvious like Dunn's River.
Dec 17th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Ask one of the staff (bartenders, bellman, etc)if they have a car, or a friend who is a driver. Tivertonhouse makes a good point in checking out insurance, as it's one of the 1st questions I ask. I make sure the vibe is right & agree on a price beforehand. I usually know when I am being hustled & what is fair. It usually works out around $10 an hour. You won't regret the experience. Whatever you decide, make sure you get off the resort to experience some real Jamaica & all it has to offer.
Dec 17th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies so far, I am definitely taking notes. It sounds like for 7 nights stay, I'd probably have to find activities outside the ones offered at the resort.

Dan: You mentioned that the cost approx. $10/hr for the driver if I wanted to go off the resort and take my own excursions. Is the driver responsible for the vehicle and fuel? Would the $10/hr cover everything? Do you have a name you can recommend?

Has anyone used Baretta Adventure? I think it was recommended in one of the threads here. I was wondering how much it would cost for an all day outing?

Thanks again everyone.
Dec 17th, 2004, 09:16 PM

Yes, the driver would provide the vehicle & fuel. Ask Kenroy, a bartender in the main lounge, if his friend Barrie is still available. I have hired him in the past & found him to be quite fair & a real nice guy. The choice is yours & I hope you enjoy the Wyndham as much as we do. Please post a trip report upon your return. Have a safe & memorable trip....Dan
Dec 19th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your info Dan. I'll try to post a report when I return.