Working and living in Grand Cayman

Old Mar 25th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working and living in Grand Cayman

I'm applying for a job opening on Grand Cayman but I have no idea what is reasonable to ask for in terms of salary and relocation costs, should my application get that far. Can anybody give me an idea of housing costs for something basic? Clean & safe are what I need--what would be a ballpark range for a monthly rental on a longterm basis? Presumably the issue of hiring a non-Caymanian has already been taken care of by the business, but what other questions should I be asking? Is there a different site I should visit to ask these same questions?

Thanks,
ejcrowe
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 05:16 AM

You may want to look for expat communities online.

Other questions are how to deal with utilities/phone (sometimes there are long waits for these).
Do you need a car? Where will your job be located? Is there public transportation mearby?
Insurance, health care, repatriation etc.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Have you done a search on this board yet? I remember there was a poster from the US who got a job in the Caymans maybe a year or so ago? As I recall, she posted a lot of info about the process. Good luck!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 07:57 AM

Check this out!

http://www.caymannewresident.com/
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, y'all!

wyatt92, I remember that thread and tried to search for it. I went back 3 years with Grand Cayman tagged and didnt' see it. i don't think the search function here is very sophisticated, though.

CaymanSue, I'll check that link out right away!

thanks,
ejc
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
camelbak did it last year.
Here's one of her threads - http://www.fodors.com/community/fodo...-caymans-1.cfm
Her email address is on her profile. I don't think she posts here as much as she used to.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Hi there! It's me!

thanks Starrs for letting me know that someone else is thinking of taking the plunge at Cayman.

*big breath*

Alright...here we go.

Caymannewresident is a great start for getting an idea about the Island and what's involved with moving down there.

That being said, whether you get relocation costs depends on what type of job you are getting. I was hired as a paralegal at one of the law firms and was provided with airfare, any luggage overage fees, a car rental for 10 days and a condo for the first 10 days on the island. It worked out nicely actually.

That being said, I did have to find my own accommodation after that. I found a roommate through the Facebook Marketplace (which is sort of shut down now?) and I rented a room in a two bedroom condo right on the beach. That cost $1200 CI (so, $1300 US a month or so?). This is a pretty standard rate for sharing, and there is a LOT of sharing on the island. If your interested in renting on your own expect to pay about that, if not more for a one bedroom. I didn't have to pay a deposit because the other girl was already living in the place, but expect to pay 1/2 of your rent for a deposit. If your setting up on your own then count on paying for 1st month rent, a full month deposit, and deposits for the a/c, cable and any telephone hookup.

Bottom line - start saving now! It's expensive for start up costs down there.

I would recommend spending at least a week on the Island to get things settled (renting, phone, etc.) and exploring the Island before you start work. I didn't have to start work for about 5 days once I got on Island and it was a great time to destress and run around and figure out where I was!

I would suggest, once you get approved with your immigration paperwork, that you contact the HR people at the company you will be working for and ask them if they can put a notice through the work e-mail to see if anyone needs a roommate. I was incredibly lucky to have the Facebook marketplace, but like I said it doesn't really work all that well anymore.

I would make sure your cellphone is compatible to be unlocked and when you arrive on Island you go to a cellphone place, have your phone unlocked and get a new SIM card. It cost $29 CI to get my phone unlocked, another $10 CI for my SIM card and then I used pay as you go cards for my phone. Trust me...don't use your cellphone any other way...I got a nice $300 phone bill for about an hour of talk to home (Vancouver, BC). Eek!

The cost of food is comparable to Vancouver but I have heard that people from the US are shocked at the food prices. I would budget at LEAST $100CI a week for food. That doesn't include eating and drinking out - which can get expensive.

Remember that the immigration process can take anywhere from 1 - 2 months and don't book your plane ticket until you have been approved and have that immigration letter in hand. I applied for my permit in September and was approved in mid-December of 07...so it took a bit of time (which drove me to distraction but that's another story!).

anyways, let me know what questions you have and I will try to help.

Oh..and good luck!!!
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Oh...also remember that you only get paid once a month in Cayman...so if your pay is on the 23rd of the month - that's it! har har.

Oh...and setting up a bank account is a total pain in the butt, but I recommend setting up an account with the same bank that your employer banks with..it makes things a lot easier. Allow at LEAST a 1/2 day to be at the bank to get things set up. You will need your immigration letter to show them, along with your passport, work permit thingy you get at customs when you come into the country, etc.

As for how much to ask for...it really depends on what type of job your applying for...and most of the time they will have a set # in mind anyways. Wait until you get an offer letter and then see if what they offer is reasonable. Remember there are no taxes in Cayman, but you do have to contribute to a pension fund there...so that is taken off of your paycheque each month (it's mandatory).

I knew when I accepted my job that the pay wasn`t totally killer awesome, but I wanted to get down there and it was a great opportunity and I could live on the wage. I also knew that after my probation period my pay would go up, and also would get bonuses for work performance, etc....so it was only a matter of time before I would get a really excellent wage anyways. Just something to consider.

Unfortunately I had to return home after only 3 months because I discovered I was pregnant (doh!), but we are considering going back down there again in the future. it`s TOTALLY different from anything I have experienced, it`s VERY small town and VERY quiet...but you can`t beat the views!
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 12:30 PM

I have a friend who lived in Grand Cayman for a couple of years. She was working in the financial industry. After the first year, she was deadly bored. She ended coming back. Living and vacationing clearly are not the same.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your extensive reply, camelbak. I'll spend some time exploring the site with your comments in mind. before you found out you were pregnant, how long was your work permit for?

Did you buy a car once you were there? Take one with you? Or get get by without one?

Even if there is no income tax in GC, I assume I'd have to pay home (US) taxes on it, no? The company is actually a bookstore owned by a US resident and I don't know if it's opened as a branch of his other stores in the Miami area or if there are no connections between his US store and his GC store.

What part of the island were you living in when sharing with the roommate?

I think that based on my research in the region (not GC in particular) that I've grasped the difference between vacationing and living in the Caribbean about as well as anybody can who hasn't actually lived there...but I could always be surprised!

how easy is it to travel to other islands from Grand Cayman? Did you get a chance to explore other places while you were down there?

Anyway, thanks for your input, as I really appreciate it!
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Hi there.

I will try to answer your questions in the same order as you asked them.

I was granted a 2 year work permit through the Immigration Department. Permits cost a lot of $$ and must be handled by the employer so they want to make the time worth their while if you know what I mean. There is a sliding scale for what type of work and how much the permit costs. There are "temp" permits for 6 months but apparently they are getting stingy about handing those out.

I didn't buy a care when I got there, 1. because I lived right on SMB, 2. because I only worked about 15 minute walk away, and 3. because I wasn't there long enough to get one (I was planning on saving for one). You can get lots of relatively cheap cars but the paperwork to get one is apparently something else. You have to get it registered and inspected by the local agency which can literally take an entire day. You have to get your license switched over (which can take another 1/2 day), etc.

I managed to get by without one for the time I was there. My roommate worked only a few blocks from me so we carpooled and otherwise I took the bus (which is really a little minivan that stops whereever you want along the route). Had I stayed longer I would have definitely gotten one.

As for taxes, I think it really depends on how long you plan to stay on the Island, what the tax treaty is between the US and Cayman and what requirements allow you not to pay world income in the States. For Canada you have to cut all residential ties to Canada in order not to get dinged for taxes...however Canada also has a treaty with Cayman so the taxes otherwise are fairly minimal. If you have an accountant or something I would speak to them and get their opinion, otherwise I would check out your IRS website and see if there is some information about foreign income there. When I meant cut all residential ties, I meant you are only allowed to maintain one bank account in Canada, otherwise, no car, no credit cards, no house, no medical, etc., etc. Like I said, not sure if its the same in the States, but best to check.

I lived right on 7 Mile Beach at the Treasure Island resort (which is fairly close to town). It was easy walking to bars and restaurants...was also right on the beach, swim up bar pool, gym, etc., etc. They have long term rentals there and the condo was really quite nice. I liked how central it was though the bar could get noisy on a Friday night. Most people that work in town live either on or near 7 MB or in South Sound...though the commute some South Sound can be brutal from what I understand.

No amount of research can prepare you for "island time". Don't get me wrong I loved Cayman and there are some days that I wish we could go back and make a good run at it...but like the other poster said...it can get boring too. I mean...it's sunny EVERY day, hot EVERY day and you can sort of get caught up in a Groundhog Day sort of groove. There really isn't a huge amount to do there - yes there are gyms, and restaurants, and snorkelling galore and diving and hanging out at the pool, and going to see a movie every once in a while (they take intermission there btw and everyone talks through the entire movie - ahem!), but other than all that...all that's left to do it get drunk and bake on the beach! The stores are closed on Sundays so no shopping whatsoever...and come to think of it...there isn't any shopping period! I tried to find something other than a bikini or shorts to buy and pretty much outta luck! Now the spas are wonderful (Ritz - woot!) and the brunches are amazing (champagne brunch at the Ritz)...but in the end it's a small, small, small island that's very conservative. Of course you make the best of it and have a partying time when you first arrive...but yes I can see after a year being bored out of my mind.

That being said, a lot of expats travel throughout the year to get off "the Rock". Lots of people head to Jamaica, or Miami, or Cuba, or Costa Rica, or Las Vegas (go figure!). There are charters that go to Cuba, Jamaica and Costca Rica, but otherwise you have to fly into Miami to go anywhere. I didn't get to explore anywhere else - I did have a Cuba trip planned, but most people head out after the first 6 months to travel.

I really loved Cayman - the beaches were amazing and the people overall very friendly. It didn't take me long to figure out the groove of the place - and if you know anyone down there then the transition is even better.

let me know if you have any other questions!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:37 PM

Hmm... this isn't the forum for it, but suffice to say that one should get the views of more than one or two people with limited knowledge of living in Cayman before setting any opinions.

Suffice to say a large amount of factual inaccuracies in the advice you were given, plus there is quite a lot more to do than indicated.

I've lived here 20 years and certainly settled here. Is there less to do than in a big city ? Perhaps for some people, but all depends on your lifestyle. I'm a family guy and our life is SO busy we long for a quiet weekend without tons of things on.

Last weekend a not atypical example of one weekend day in Cayman...this was last Saturday :
- 7am:9:30 - Dad takes two sons to swim practice
- 8am:9am - Spin class for Dad
- 9am - Mom takes youngest son to tennis then swim class
- mid morning to early afternoon - various personal and home related errands that we never get to during the week (hey, we work hard)
- 2-3pm - youngest son to squash
- 3-5pm Mom and youngest to Easter fun day at school
- 2pm-4pm - two older sons to help set up for fundraising dinner for swimming association at sailing club (great venue on deck on the North Sound)
- 4pm - Dad goes to look at used surf kayak advertised on ecaytrade.com (nuts, it was too small for someone my height)
- 6pm Mum and Dad to fundraising dinner

You'd think Sunday was quiet then ? Nope, on a boat early in the am to cheer on the head swim coach, who swam 6 miles across the North Sound to raise money for the swim team.

Boy, I would LOVE to be bored occasionally !
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Tom. I was hoping you'd chime in. Being bored in GC is not part of my equation, but being able to afford living there for 1-2 years on what I expect the position to pay is another thing. I'm very interested in pursuing it, but I would have to earn significantly more than what I earn in the States (I'm currently woefully underpaid for my position but happy to have it in this economy). Do you have any recommendations for further reading?

thanks,
emily
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:04 AM

Tom, with all due respect, I know more than a few Canadians who have worked in Grand Cayman, and have returned in few years because of the monotony in daily life. Now obviously many people love the lifestyle in the Cayman islands but not everyone does and this doesn't make their experience "factually inaccurate"
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM

Naveron, please don't spin what I said, I simply said there were numerous factual inaccuracies, not that their EXPERIENCE was such.

It is tough to generalise about any place, so I will avoid generalising about any nationality coming to work in Cayman too...ach heck, Canadians find it boring as they are too cheap to spend any money going out to enjoying themselves as they are in perennial sticker shock about the prices.... ok, ok, just kidding..mostly

Ejcrowe... I know the business you are looking to work for, it is a great store in a great location and yes, is very much linked to the S FL stores..... but as to pay in Cayman vs the US, I think you'd need to make at least 20% more in USD terms than you make now just to stay even.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Tom, I'd have to make significantly more than just 20% more than what I'm making now to make it a financially viable option. But we'll see. Resume was submitted today so all I can do is wait to see if Kaplan will want to take it to the next level.

Where is the store located? I assume in or near Georgetown... The general website for Books & Books doesn't say much about it.

ejc
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:01 PM

Store is at Camana Bay, which is off 7MB, so yes, very central... gorgeous store in a gorgeous development.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Well, I had a phone interview today for the position. The business owner was looking for a longer commitment than I was prepared to give up front (he wanted 5-10 years, I was prepared for a 2-year work permit but not more than that). But the salary was almost in line with what I expected to ask for, based on the minimal cost of living research I had done.

So, no GC for me in the immediate future. I'm disappointed, I confess. I had already envisioned my life there. My husband can't move with me, though, and I'm not prepared to spend the next 5-10 years seeing him only once a month or so! Maybe I can convince him to sell our house and retire there...

Thanks for all of the help and input, though, y'all. I really appreciate it!
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:14 PM

Oh EJ, I'm sorry.

Something will turn up, perhaps not yet but things like this generally work out for the best. You certainly can't be away from your DH for 5 years, I'd struggle even with 2 years

We contemplated moving to Zimbabwe (too many problems with schooling for the girls) and then a few years later had an offer to move to Canada (we had trust issues with the owners of the company, DH took redundancy instead)- third time lucky? we moved to the US and are happily living not too far away from you in MA.

It will work out - retirement sounds good, do you think he'd go for it?? Think of all the island hopping you could do

And best of all - no snow blowing
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 03:36 AM

bummer, EJ, I was following the thread but didnt really have anything to input except to say that I dream of doing something like that and was pulling for ya!!

Peace, Greenie

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -