wine at all inclusives

Mar 6th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

wine at all inclusives

I understand that all meals and drinks are covered in the AIs, including wine, but here is my question: My husband and I like fine wines-- generally speaking, will there be a good selection of good wines if you stay at a 5 star all inclusive?
Mar 6th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Firstly, there are very few true five star all-inclusives. They are restricted to places like Necker Island, PSV, etc.

If you are referring to chain AI's like Sandals or Beaches, no, you will not find fine wines there unless they have a selection available for purchase, in which case they will cost quite a bit more than you will pay at home.
Mar 6th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

We will be staying at the Paradisus Puerto Rico. It appears, at least by the website and the fact that they are a member of Leading Hotels of the World, that they are truly 5 star. I hope I'm not wrong! They just opened, so I haven't read true reviews, but they have a generous cancellation policy if need be.
Mar 6th, 2004, 05:05 PM

I'm not sure how you define 'fine' wines, but if you mean those priced at, say, $25 a bottle and more in the USA, then no, you won't find them readily available at AI's. Even more expensive high end AI's won't pour those except for special evenings.
Mar 6th, 2004, 05:17 PM

Most AI's have what could only be described as "drinkable" house wines or perhaps something from a local vinyard.

However with a lot of fine wines costing $50 - $100 ++ per bottle, you can imagine that AI's couldn't afford to include these. Many people would simply drink more than their entire vacation package cost. Simple economics say the AI's couldn't stay in business doing this.
Mar 7th, 2004, 06:51 PM

The Royal Hideaway in Playa del Carmen, Mexico all inclusive incuded all drinks/wine. I'm not sure if you asked for a very expensive wine if they would serve it but they were serving very expensive liquors. They did an impressive job in their restaurants and bar. Think Canuk is right, it would get out of hand if people ordered $50 to $100 bottles of wine.