Search

Windjammer Cruises

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 1999, 08:22 PM
Paul G

Windjammer Cruises

Just want feedback on anyone that has taken a Windjammer cruise and whether or not they liked it. How does it compare with "regular" cruising? Thanks.

Old Jan 25th, 1999, 02:55 AM
K Noel

If you're doing Barefoot Windjammer, it doesn't compare at all to "regular" cruising! It's totally casual, unstructured, and more suitable for those who don't have the need to be entertained every minute. The ships have different iteneraries, so you can chose which islands you wish to visit. It's a lot of fun, but you need to know that these ships were originally cargo ships, and although the sails are raised daily and technically you will be under sail, they use the engines pretty much constantly. Therefore, you don't get the drop-dead silence of wind and sea that you get on other sailing vessels. I'll probably get slammed for saying that, but I would have liked to have known before I went! Overall, it's a fun adventure that you'll never forget. <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 12:32 PM
Cheri

Ah come on K Noel, we ain't gonna slam ya! We went on our 5th one last month (Legacy) and we spent two entire days completely under sail! Marvelous. It's rare, but if the conditions are right, WOW! <BR> <BR>I have to say that they are THE best time you can have. Very friendly, very informal and you get to go to a lot of smaller islands that are very interesting and a lot of them are quite deserted and remote. <BR> <BR>Just don't expect black tie and to be entertained 24/7 like on the foo foo ships. Very relaxing, and the ONLY way to cruise. <BR> <BR>Actually, most of these ships used to be private yachts and research vessels.

Old Jan 27th, 1999, 04:28 PM
John

They are nothing like a "regular" cruise. Very informal. Small. They tend to dock in smaller ports. Meals are very casual (shorts and t-shirts) and food is good but basic (no flaming baked alaska). Evening entertainment is either a party on board ship, hang out at the bar, or if you are in port you can go to someplace on shore. The days in port are left on your own, although they arrange shore excursions, island tours, etc. It's a good way to see an overview of the islands. If you are outgoing and are comfortable meeting new people, you will love the time you spend on the ship. I prefer to spend more time at each island, so cruises aren't as much of a draw. But I had a good time on Windjammer and it gave me a great overview of the Virgin Islands so I know which ones to go back to.

Old Jan 27th, 1999, 04:56 PM
Cassie

I went on WJ on a singles cruise last Thanksgiving. The cabins are tiny, but serviceable. I got what I expected, but I wished there was someplace to escape the noise and the party. There are no public rooms on the Polynesia, just the dining room, the bar on deck and your cabin. My biggest complaint was that no official cruiseline rep meets your plane, arranges your transportation, etc. Call me spoiled - when I pay for a cruise, I expect to be met at the airport, not given instructions to 'get a cab and take it to the dock'. Another note - it's only a 6 night cruise (most cruises are 7 nights) - you can get what they call the "Stowaway" night the Saturday before they sail Sunday, but it costs you $45. I didn't have a bad time, but I won't be doing WJ anytime soon again. One woman on my trip did get off halfway thru because of the noise and lack of privacy. You can check out their new upgraded website - www.windjammer.com

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 01:06 PM
Neil Fossum

We just returned from our third Windjammer Barefoot Cruise - this is by far our favorite way to see the Caribbean! Very casual - you're in your swim suit all the time. The islands you go to are pristine and sometimes you have the entire beach to yourself. The comment above about "engine-sailing" is for the most part true, but this last cruise we did quite a bit of engine off sailing. The Yankee Clipper crew said that was typical for that ship. <BR> This is nothing like a big ship cruise. We've done both and we definitely prefer the more intimate setting on Windjammer. The ship is small enough that you get to know just about everyone, but it's large enough for everyone to enjoy their own space if they want. The cabins are , shall we say , a little spartan. But they're air conditioned and you really don't spend much time there - just to change clothes and sleep. The food is great and service is excellent. The crew is always a lot of fun. The on board drinks are very reasonable ($2 beer and $2.50 frozen drink) and you use a credit system so you don't have to carry cash around. Shore excursions, if there are any, are also very reasonable, and you can usually SCUBA dive every day if you want. Everyplace you go there's great snorkeling and sometimes you swim right off the ship. I can't say enough about how great this vacation is - check out their website for more - www.windjammer.com

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 01:06 PM
Neil Fossum

We just returned from our third Windjammer Barefoot Cruise - this is by far our favorite way to see the Caribbean! Very casual - you're in your swim suit all the time. The islands you go to are pristine and sometimes you have the entire beach to yourself. The comment above about "engine-sailing" is for the most part true, but this last cruise we did quite a bit of engine off sailing. The Yankee Clipper crew said that was typical for that ship. <BR> This is nothing like a big ship cruise. We've done both and we definitely prefer the more intimate setting on Windjammer. The ship is small enough that you get to know just about everyone, but it's large enough for everyone to enjoy their own space if they want. The cabins are , shall we say , a little spartan. But they're air conditioned and you really don't spend much time there - just to change clothes and sleep. The food is great and service is excellent. The crew is always a lot of fun. The on board drinks are very reasonable ($2 beer and $2.50 frozen drink) and you use a credit system so you don't have to carry cash around. Shore excursions, if there are any, are also very reasonable, and you can usually SCUBA dive every day if you want. Everyplace you go there's great snorkeling and sometimes you swim right off the ship. I can't say enough about how great this vacation is - check out their website for more - www.windjammer.com

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 01:07 PM
Neil Fossum

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 01:08 PM
Neil Fossum

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 01:09 PM
Neil Fossum

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 01:11 PM
Neil Fossum