Grand Cayman

Dec 31st, 1998, 06:05 AM
Bonnie

Grand Cayman

We are heading to Grand Cayman first week of March. We're staying in a 2bdrm condo at Plantation Village.This is between Treasure Island and Marriot. Anyone want to share info on any of these resorts or the island in general. Dining,grocery stores,activities,etc.

Dec 31st, 1998, 10:23 AM
Amy

We were there about 5 years ago, but I think the sting ray city is still a great snorkel trip-I loved it.

Also, wish I would have found this snorkel place before it was our last day: Go to the end of the island on the seven mile beach (away from the city) there is a grave yard-walk along side the grave yard and down to the beach. We saw things I have never seen-we even saw a small school of octopus - they were beautiful.

Another place is by a half sunken boat close to the city - I can't remember which hotel was there, but the fish were plenty.

Feb 6th, 1999, 04:18 PM
Ellen D

Dear Bonnie,

We've been to Cayman twice; stayed at the Treasure Is. Resort and Tamarind Bay, almost next door. The Marriot has the nicer beach, and a reef just offshore for pretty good snorkeling. The water is gorgeous all over the island. A car is very expensive, so we opted to stay close to town, where lots of good restaurants are w/in walking distance, (The Wharf, very good - they feed 4-6' tarpons at night, you can practically touch them!) The Almond Tree also good, and the Italian restaurant right across the street is fantastic. The deck looks out over the main road, but the food is great and the service is too if you don't want to go too far. Good for the first night. A Baskin Robbins is about a mile towards town, across the street. A Kirk's Supermarket w/in walking distance, but beware prices - milk is $6.50/gallon!!! (We have 4 kids - it was a great expense!) Also walked to the Nautilus, a pseudo-submarine experience, worth the trip. We've been to Sting Ray City, (a good trip-we went on one that served lunch and stopped at a conch dive where my husband dove for conch, kept the shell and they served the meat for lunch), Hell (a waste of time), Turtle Farm (interesting, but only for 1-2 hours). We rented a car that day and continued up the island to explore. Really good snorkeling at Morritt's Tortuga Resort, and fantastic dinner at the Lighthouse. Mostly we stayed around the condo and relaxed. Treasure Island has nightly entertainment in the open air lobby/bar.
The Pirate's Rum cake is delicious, you can find it in many stores and the airport - nice gift to take to someone at home. Anything else, please e-mail me.

Feb 9th, 1999, 06:46 PM
signman

Check out www.cayman.ky
By the way, the reef that one of you repliers is refering to is called Cemetery Reef which is at the North end of Seven Mile Beach, just as you enter West Bay. If the weather has been good for a few days then don't miss it if you like to snorkel. There's lots of fish and they love Cheez Wizz! If the sea has been choppy, give it a miss, due to the sand that mixes in the water.
DO go to Stingray City.

Enjoy.

Feb 9th, 1999, 06:48 PM
signman

Check out www.cayman.ky
By the way, the reef that one of you repliers is refering to is called Cemetery Reef which is at the North end of Seven Mile Beach, just as you enter West Bay. If the weather has been good for a few days then don't miss it if you like to snorkel. There's lots of fish and they love Cheez Wizz! If the sea has been choppy, give it a miss, due to the sand that mixes in the water.
DO go to Stingray City.

Enjoy.

Search this Thread