Windjammer Barefoot Cruises

Aug 13th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Windjammer Barefoot Cruises

Has anyone taken a cruise using this company recently? Any positive/negative comments are welcome. I'd like to get a better idea of them other than there brochure.
Thanks!!
Aug 13th, 2003, 11:38 AM

Everyone I know that has taken one has enjoyed it. More laid back and casual than the larger ships.

I understand that certain cruises get a little more rowdy than others. For instance, the Polynesia is a more rowdy crowd than the Yankee Clipper, or so I've been told.

Overall, however, I've never heard a complaint. Haven't taken one myself, though.
Aug 13th, 2003, 12:09 PM
CF

I've taken 5 of them. I think it's the only way to go. I could go on and on, so how about posting any specific questions and I'll try to fill you in.
Aug 13th, 2003, 03:24 PM

Go to jammerbabe.com and click on Windjammer Flotilla icon....you will find more info than you ever dreamed of!
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!!
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:01 PM

CF: I'm interested in hearing about the food on any Windjammer cruise. Even their brochure seems a little self-deprecating about the food, which makes me wonder if it's even edible. On a casual cruise like that I'd be more than happy to exchange large numbers of obnoxious cruisers for ho-hum food, as long as I don't go hungry... Also, as I've never sailed on the open water for longer than a 1/2 day catamaran cruise, is it likely that I would get seasick on a Windjammer cruise? If I did one, I'd be most interested in either the BVI or the Grenadines cruise. Do you have a favorite? What aspects of it did you like the most? What, if any, were the downsides? Thanks!
Aug 15th, 2003, 06:03 AM

The food on WJ is plentiful and very good, however, it is not gourmet if that is what you are looking for. For early risers, there is a small buffet of pastries and fruit w/bloody marys and juice. Then, there is a sit down breakfast that is usually a variation of eggs, pancakes, waffles, etc. Lunch is usually a buffet, either topside or on the beach, of hamburgers, casseroles, salads, home-made cookies, etc. Swizzle-time (around 4 or 5) consists of all the rum punch (or fruit punch) you can drink with appetizers like cheeses and crackers, pizza squares, fritters, etc (This always seems to be the BEST food). Dinner can be either buffet or sit down. Usually if there is a sit down, they ask you earlier in the day to mark your choice of main course (prime rib, steak, lamb, seafood). Then there are a variety of late night munchies like pizza, cookies, etc. You don't go hungry!

I've only cruised the Grenadines on the Yankee Clipper (going again in 63 more days!) so I can't tell you any differences between BVI and Grenadines. My only problem with the BVI cruise is that it spends a lot of time in USVI as well, and I've been there and have NO desire to go back, would rather spend my cash on the beauty of the Grenadines.

I only noticed people getting sea sick on the long open water sails, like from Grenada to St. Vincent, which is the first day. After that, people seemed to have no problem. The sick people were the ones who didn't take anything or have the patch. I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't get seasick.

I went on 9 foo-foo ships before I went on my first WJ and now I am hooked. It is such a personal experience because you get to know all of your fellow passengers and the crew. We still correspond with crew members.

You get to go on to islands with, at the most, 100 people, but usually just 50-60, instead of 3000. Makes for a better all around experience of the island and all it has to offer. Also, very nice not to have to get all dressed up all the time...shorts and t-shirts are pretty much day and night time dress.

The only down-side might be the size of the cabin, but that's o.k....we don't spend much time there anyways!

Hope this helps you
Aug 15th, 2003, 11:32 AM

My husband and I have been thinking of WJ too. I would love to go on a cruise because I love being on the water, but I have been reluctant because we don't like dressing up and are not into gambling or Vegas style shows, the whole spa thing or any of that. It seems that large cruise ships just aren't for us, but then I read about WJ and it sounded very appealing to me.
Aug 15th, 2003, 06:51 PM
CF

As was answered for me, the food on the WJ is quite good. And plentiful.

As far as getting seasick goes,the only time I really got sick was on the Legacy when we had the owners suite. It was in the front of the ship and we had to hold on to do anything. The roll was terrible. I was sick the entire time I was in the cabin.

My favorite was the Mandalay thru the Grenadines mainly because it is a longer trip. I also liked the Flying
Cloud thru the BVI's. The BVI's are very calm sailing. When we took it we didn't spend hardly anytime in the USVI, but they are constantly changing their routes.

I do try to book far enough ahead of time so that we can get a cabin on the deck level. They are larger and most of the time have a small fridge too. Some of the cabins(NOT ALL) on the Mandalay down below are so small your knees hit the wall when you sit on the bunk. Go the extra $100 and get an Admirals Suite, Csaptains Cabin or whatever the ship of choice is calling them.