Will Windjammer make me crazy?

Nov 6th, 2001, 09:01 AM
mshaw

Will Windjammer make me crazy?

Hello!
We are considering our first Windjammer Cruise. We are in our late 40's...love to snorkel...and are looking at the BVI on a Windjammer. Is it possible to get away from other people on these cruises? Not that we we are antisocial but just need alittle quiet time periodically! The idea of a large cruise ship has never appealed to us.We want to do our own thing.Any first hand experience with this cruise line will be greatly appreciated!Maggie

Nov 7th, 2001, 02:29 AM
Pam

Doing your own thing is a WJ tradition. You'll have the opportunity to be on your own or hang out with a group. I've spent 11 weeks sailing with WJ. Looking forward to weeks 12 & 13 in two weeks - sailing on Legacy from St. Lucia to Tortola. Email me if I can answer any other questions.
Pam

Nov 8th, 2001, 08:15 AM
Julie

My husband & I went on a 16-day Windjammer a few years back, sailing from Grenada to Antigua. While the sleeping quarters are "compact", there is enough variety in the ports to be by yourself. This was our 2nd favorite vacation, only behind French Polynesia (Bora Bora & Moorea). We would definitly "Windjam" again!

Nov 8th, 2001, 11:24 AM
whatis

I love to travel, but I think I still have alot more research to do. I have no idea what Windjammer cruise is. Is it another cruise line? party cruise? what're itineraries?

Nov 8th, 2001, 02:27 PM
JB

Take a look at www.windjammer.com.

Nov 12th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Judy

We sailed on the Mandalay (2 wks from Antigua to Grenada) in '99, and found it to be small enough to get acquainted with other passengers, but large enough to get away from them, if you wanted to. We'll be doing the Windjammer again in February (1 wk on the Flying Cloud in BVI's and 1 wk on the Legacy in USVI's/BVI's) and are really looking forward to it. If you decide to go, happy sailing!

Nov 12th, 2001, 07:32 AM
mshaw

Thanks so much...that has helped! We are thinking of the Legacy..or the Flying Cloud..It is starting to sound like this might be the ticket for us..Thanks for the response Bon Voyage!Maggie

Nov 17th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Joel

I absolutely thing you ought to cruise with Windjammer, but I have to tell this story from back in 1988. My wife and I were sitting in STT waiting for our flight. There were a half dozen or so folks that had just gotten off a WJ cruise next to us. The flight was late so I spent 40 minutes talking to guy in his 60's who had been on the trip. It was a phenomenal story that goes far beyond anything I can remember at this late date, but it starts with the captain informing his guests after putting to sea that the screw has a bent blade and so, they have to take a different route, one that will get them to the shipyard they're scheduled to drydock at. Bear in mind that WJ knew all this before the cruise boarded, so they'd decided up front to screw these folks out of the advertised cruise.
The guy I was talking to had found a note on the blackboard in the crew's mess that told all crewmembers to keep the guests as drunk as possible so they wouldn't be a problem.
Into the cruise, a guest became seriously ill and it was determined to be life-threatening. The captain refused to arrange a medevac, however, the guests threatened to mutiny and take over the radio and the vessel if a medevac was not arranged.
The medevac was arranged and the sick man departed. He subsequently lived, but it was a very close call according to his wife.
The cruise continued. No stops, just open sea until they reached the yard. Then... end of cruise.
As the man was telling me this story, his shipmates sitting adjacent were nodding and adding detail. On arrival at St. Thomas, a number of the folks decided on a class action suit against WJ. Apparently, a Miami (?) lawyer had already been contacted and several of these folks were flying direct to Miami to discuss the case.
I want to tell you, that this was one p.o.ed bunch of people. I am sure that this was an exceptional thing for WJ, as I have always heard nothing but good about their cruises.