Notices

WHY NO CLUB MED REPORTS

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Meddy

WHY NO CLUB MED REPORTS

Why no Club Med reports on this place. anyone ever go to one? Are the any good? How is the food? They charge you for drinks right? So how much do you spend on top of the room/meal rate for drinks etc?

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Anon

Does anyone still go there, I thought they were very popular in the 80's!?!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Dori

Club Meds are the original all-inclusive. I went to one in the mid-90's. It was filled to capacity. Food looked better than it tasted. Free wine and beer with dinner and lunch, but you pay for it after that. Club Meds are not cheap. I would suspect they lost popularity because there are SO many all inclusive places now that are much newer and less expensive.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Cindy

We recently went to the Club Med in Dominican Republic because we were looking for a great vacation for a 6 year old, and our travel agent said Club Med had a spectacular kid's program. They were right - go to a kid's Club Med and the kid's program is excellent. The food was pretty good, as long as you're ok with buffet. Not my favourite, but the food itself was good. They do charge for drinks other than beer and wine with meals. They have an all inclusive drink bracelet you can buy, or you can buy tickets. I didn't find the cost extraordinary. Depends what you're looking for - it's very high activity, which again, isn't our idea of a good time, but the beach was fabulous and no one bugs you to participate, which I had feared. There's communal seating at meals though - 6 or 8 to a table, which REALLY isn't for us. All in all, not exactly our style of vacation, but we liked it because it was all it was supposed to be in a kid's program - our little guy had a blast - and the weather and beach were great. Food and the rest were fine for the money.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 05:21 AM
travelpro

maybe not much here because it is more popular with European travelers and is the original club concept. Not sleek advertising, resorts have quality rankings and some are a bit more basic than some of the Sandals-type properties while others are high end quality. Also paying extra for drinks discourages the reason why some choose an all inclusive to begin with but it can be a bit more civilized.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:58 AM
lou gerstner

Well until the world renowned expert on all things to do with resorts, that well known, much loved, and arrogant ramjet chimes in on this topic I will not believe anything written about Club Meds.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:39 AM
x

Hi, Meddy:

Fodors does not have a lot of Club Med goers posting... you need to try other forums.

That being said, Club Med is for very active people. If you are into sports and activities, they are the best. The food varies depending on the village, but it has been better than any other all-inclusive, based on my experience.

Wine and beer are included with meals--otherwise alcoholic drinks are additional cost. Certain villages are now offering a "bar bracelet" concept which entitles you to all your drinks included for an additional fee.

The most I have ever spent on drinks at Club Med was $225 for a week--and that was in Mexico where I was constantly shelling out for bottled water. Usually my bar tab runs about $100 for the week.

I would recommend the following sites:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&group=rec.travel.resorts.all-inclusive

http://www.blackpearls.net

http://http://www.hammocktree.org/ms/trips.html