Which would you choose?

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Sue

Which would you choose?

My husband and I are trying to decide between Round Hill in Montego Bay or Point Grace in the Turks and Caicos. Both look like really nice places. Anyone been to either or both places? Care to comment? Thanks....

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Jen

Definately recommend T&C over Jamaica any day!! Jamaica has too much poverty and crime. You do NOT feel safe going off the resort. Other good choices are any of the West Coast hotels in Barbados. St. Martin (French side) way too expensive.
TCI are beautiful. We are planning a trip there in the fall with our kids. Everything I've seen and heard about the island is positive. Beaches are spectacular. Some good websites out there. Try www.interknowledge.com/turks-caicos

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Kim

I never felt unsaft when we ventured off the resort in Jamaica, I dont know what everybodys problem is with feeling unsafe in Jamaica? It is like any other place having a little commom sence is all you need. Jamaica is wonderful beautiful place to vacationand yes there is poverty but us Americans have become to "SPOILED" and thats the whole problem. Get over it and stop downgrading Jamaica the people do the best that they can with what little they have.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Cheri

I don't usually like to trash a place but when we honeymooned in Jamaica in 1993 (Sandals Negril), we met two ladies at Rick's Cafe who told us of their bus tour to the mountains. A couple of men with machine guns came running out of the mountains and tried to ambush them. Although I don't remember all of the details, fortunatly everyone was able to get back into the bus, without anyone being hurt but apparently it was a pretty harrowing experience!!! So, I don't think it's just us "spoiled Americans". Like I said, I don't like to speak badly about Jamaica because a lot of people go there and don't have any problems. But I will have to say, after we heard this story, we stayed fairly close to our resort, which we don't like doing. We'll never stay at another all-inclusive either because we do like to explore an island.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Jeff

I just came back from the Grand Caymanian Resort (5 star) in Grand Cayman and loved it! If you are considering the Caribbean for Travel, this is the place to stay! Some amenities are Kitchen, Washer/Dryer, Pool, Beach, Dock, Dive Shop, Restaurant, Free Shuttle, plus more… I actually am willing to talk to you regarding this resort and can offer availability at a discounted rate ($800-$2000/week). To see more info on this resort visit: http://www.anetdiscount.com/cayman, Please call Jeff (570) 374-3482

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 11:50 AM
sharona

Hi Sue. My husband and I stayed at Point Grace in November. It was wonderful. We stayed in the smallest "room" and it consisted of a bedroom with king bed, large bathroom with two sinks and separate tub and shower, and a living room/eat-in kitchen combo. The kitchen area was small but it was fully equipped and it also had a stackable washer/dryer, a real plus for me. The kitchen had granite countertops and the bedroom/bathroom linens were Frette. Very nice. One of my favorite things about our stay at Point Grace, and I hope they still do this, is that every night they offered a complimentary, um, for lack of a better term I'll use happy hour. But this happy hour consisted of all the wine, beer or soda you could drink and they also provided finger foods of different cheeses, shrimp cocktail and smoked salmon. And this was every evening from about 6:00 until people left to go to dinner. It was a nice social time for everyone.

Point Grace also offers an in-room chef dinner where the chef will come to your room and cook you whatever you want. We had made friends with another couple while we were there and we decided to do this as our grand finale on our last night. I can't even describe how much we enjoyed this experience. We figured the chef would come by, cook and leave but not only did he come in to cook but he also brought along two helpers to serve and clean up. It was very special.

I think it's pretty obvious that we really enjoyed Point Grace and also Turks & Caicos. I haven't been to Jamaica so I can't compare. Feel free to e-mail me with questions.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Carl

Hi Sue,
My wife and I visited Turks and Caicos in August '00. We stayed @ the Allegro Resort(on Grace Bay). We also honeymooned in Jamaica (Sandals Negril) in '89. My wife and I both agree that T&C is far superior to Jamaica. The T&C beach was spectacular--the water was crystal clear!! I would rate all other aspects equal (i.e. food, entertainment, room, etc.) If you're looking for a beautiful place to relax and unwind, T&C is THE place. Don't get me wrong, Jamaica is a wonderful place (especially Negril--more secluded w/ a great beach). T&C is an unspoiled, small island with the best beach I've ever set foot on! Hope this helps in your decision making. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Enjoy!