best island for snorkeling??

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 11:09 AM
kristen

best island for snorkeling??

Looking for an island with great snorkeling. Have been to the USVIs and BVIs, Cozumel, and Vieques. Looking for something new. Have been considering Bonaire but not crazy about the landscape and postings about crime. Ideally-- would like to stay somewhere with a kitchen to keep prices low. Any advice??
Kristen

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 12:11 PM
xzxx

Go somewhere in the Cayman Islands. the area is known for scuba diving but the snorkeling is wonderful too. Try to get a condo, there are some good ones on the small island.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Eva

Providenciales, in the Turks & Caicos, has outstanding snorkeling, but the landscape is a bit arid. The Ocean Club has suites, with full kitchens, but is not cheap (there may be other suggestions for accomodations here, but I have only personally stayed at the OC).

Even better, Belize! The best snorkeling we've ever seen, on the barrier reef just offshore. The scenery is a lot more tropical and lush here. We stayed at Ramon's Village on Ambergris Caye, in one of their suites, which has a sink, fridge and microwave. Prices are moderate.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Meg

Roatan, Honduras has the best snorkeling I've ever done. About 20 feet offshore in 5 feet of water, we saw eagle rays, squid, an octupus, a nurse shark plus all the varieties of parrot fish, angels, etc. that you can imagine. Absolutely gorgeous! Grand Cayman is good too - Stingray City is great. The Bahamas also have good snorkeling.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Abby

Hi,

I second the suggestion for the Bahamas. Can't beat the 82 degree H2O temp, being able to see 25 feet to the bottom to check out the coral, sharks, lobster, barracuda...you name it! (Try the Out Islands)

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Jeff

I just came back from the Grand Caymanian Resort (5 star) in Grand Cayman and loved it! If you are considering the Caribbean for Travel, this is the place to stay! Some amenities are Kitchen, Washer/Dryer, Pool, Beach, Dock, Dive Shop, Restaurant, Free Shuttle, plus more… I actually am willing to talk to you regarding this resort and can offer availability at a discounted rate ($800-$2000/week). To see more info on this resort visit: http://www.anetdiscount.com/cayman, Please call Jeff (570) 374-3482

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Debbie

Kristen-

I was in Bonaire almost 2 yrs ago and the snorkeling was great!. My husband went diving and told me he saw just as much snorkeling as he did diving. The landscape is different. I didn't love it a first, but there are some interesting sights. The flamingos especially. I never felt unsafe and never heard anything about crime. This was 2 years ago though. The people there were very friendly and we had a great trip.