Which US Virgin Island?

Search

Which US Virgin Island?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which US Virgin Island?

Which of the US Virgin Islands do you prefer for vacation and why?
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 10:10 AM

I think most people on this board will tell you St John, and they certainly would not be wrong - St John has a lot going for it, and being close enough to the BVI for day tripping is a definite plus. We love St. Croix because of the diving (one of the few places in the world where you can swim out to a wall dive) and just the non-tourist atmosphere of the island (they only get one cruise ship a week, and that is on the far side of the island, and they are too far from the rest of the USVI or the BVI for day trippers). I don't know of many people that will give you a vote for St Thomas -- too commercial, too many cruise ships.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 11:26 AM

I lived on St. Thomas for 21 years. It depends on what you want for a vacation. If you're into history, St. Thomas & St. Croix have lots to offer. If you want to stay directly on a beach, those two islands will fill the bill more than St. John unless you stay at Caneel Bay or the Westin where the beach is more or less manmade.

If you're coming in the summer or fall there are many no ship days on St. Thomas & even on the days when there are ships, it's easy to avoid the crowds. There are more restaurant options on St. Croix & St. Thomas & both have golf courses if that's your thing. St. Thomas has one but St. Croix has more. As has been mentioned, if you want to island hop to the BVI then St. Thomas or St. John would be best (bring your passport.)
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 02:40 PM

Without more about what you are looking for i.e. night life, wide assortment and access to many activities, beaches vs. pool relaxing, snorkeling and budget it is difficult to help though Iagree with the comments above.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

We like swimming and snorkeling, variety of good places to eat both low and high end, places for walking and hiking, interesting shops.
Thanks for the comments so far.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 03:24 AM

St. John has the best beaches for snorkeling and the National Park has many lovely hiking trails.
Cruz Bay has many charming botique shops and many good places to eat. My favorites are (high) Zozo's, (low) bar-b-que place close to the dock and a grill at the end of the wharf.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 06:04 PM

Dianebriddles is 100% correct. St. thomas is a bit to honkey-tonk in the day time and at night one prefers not walking in the downtown area. Also the snorkeling off the beaches is very limited. St. Croix really dioes not have a down town like Cruz Bay on St. John and the snorkeling was, last time I was there, was half as good as around St. John.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 07:31 PM

We prefer St John for its hiking, great beaches with excellent snorkeling, good restaurants that run from beachy funk to some really nice ones. The ruins are interesting and it is very laid back and less hectic; it is tranquil and beautiful.We prefer to stay in Coral Bay and head to Cruz Bay when we want a little more action.

It is easy to take the ferry to St Thomas for a day trip so no need to stay there. You really do need a rental vehicle for St John, a 4wd might be needed depending on where you stay [some cottages have steep drives].

I would like to suggest Palm Cottage in Coral Bay. It is a beautiful, new cottage with a spectacular view of the harbor. It is self-contained, stand alone and has everything you would want from outdoor shower, to a bbq grill, beach chairs, coolers, and on and on.

We have stayed there twice; we were there for 8 days first time and 12 days second time.

http://www.vrbo.com/162906

I read through the guest book and all of the comments have been so positive on all aspects of their stay.

For the record - While I have no financial interest in the property, the owner's are personal friends. Barry & Diane are gracious hosts and great people.

Here are some pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/DebitNM/PalmCottage

Be sure to tell them Deb from Colorado sent you!
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful responses so far.