Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which Sandals is Most Luxurious? Best Beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 07:54 AM
Susan

Hello! We are planning a 'Sandals' vacation for early Feb. & cannot decide which one! We are looking for a direct beachfront room, beautiful white sand (rules out St. Lucia from what I have read), luxurious accomodation, possibly golf. Which one wld. you choose?

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:53 AM
TRAVEL

You would be talking about Sandals Royal Plantation in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. White glove service all suites. And golf!

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 11:03 AM
Ang

I have not been to the new Sandals Royale Plantation, but have been to several including Ocho Rios, dunns River Falls, Negril, Bahamas, Montego Bay and St. Lucia Halcyon. Sandals Bahamas is very luxurious but seems a bit stiff and caters to an "older" crowd, it was a little formal for us. Have heard that new Plantation is wonderful as far as luxury but I question what the beach is like. Beaches on the north side of Jamaica in the Ocho Rios area in general have terrible currents and the water is more cloudy making activities such as snorkeling not as fun and often times they do not allow you to go on the sailboats and stuff. My pick would be Sandals Negril, the beach is wonderful. the only problem is that at this resort you must pay extra for a concierge cuite, but it is worth it! We had honeymoon GrandLuxe beahfronmt Suite on first floor and our french doors opened directly on the fabulous 7 mile beach!

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:18 PM
Kim

I second Sandals Negril! We have been to quite a few of them and thats our favorite. Best beach and awsome sunset, great food and the staff is wonderful.email me if you have any ?'s

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:22 PM
Laurie

My vote is for Antigua, although the oceanfront rooms aren't directly on the beach. Beautiful beach!!!

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:23 PM
Kim

Sorry, forgot to tell you, We spent a week at Sandals St.Lucia Golf Resort last Feb for our 25th Anniversary and loved it the resort is beautiful. Huge pools and great resturants. "Dont count it out" The beach is very nice and the island itself is very tropical, green and lush. Great views wherever you look. The golf course is also very nice.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 06:36 AM
traveler

There is no golf at Sandals Negril. And St. Lucia does not have a great beach. I still think you should go to Sandals Royal Plantation.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 08:19 AM
another traveler

Most Luxurious - without a question, Beaches Royal Plantation (it is not a Sandals and not couples only, but it is adults only). Best Beach - Sandals Negril or Sandals Antigua. <BR> <BR>This is just my opinion, and others will disagree, but the only Sandals/Beaches resort that I would describe as truly "luxurious" is Beaches Royal Plantation. Beautiful rooms all with mahogany 4-poster beds, all suites, all oceanfront, 24 hr room service, stocked in-room bars, all a la carte dining (no buffets), fabulous service, golf included at the Sandals golf club. However, Beaches Royal Plantation, although it does have beautiful white sand and what I think is a nice beach, may or may not qualify for your definition of a nice beach because the beach is quite small (actually, it is set up so it is like 2 small beaches). <BR> <BR>Sandals Negril and Sandals Antigua both have what most people would define as great beaches - the stereotypical long stretches of beautiful white sand. However, neither has golf.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Susan

To Traveller re beach @ Royal Plantation: Any comments on the beach in light of what above poster has said about rough currents & 'cloudiness'??? <BR>If push came to shove we wld. forego golf for the beach so 'beautiful beach' is #1 priority! <BR>Thx. to all & to Laurie for advising that @ Sandals Antigua the 'oceanfront' rooms are not on the beach b/c that is very impt. to us! <BR>Look fwd. to further comments to help us decide!

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Kim

Best beach Sandals Negril by far!!!!

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Penney

We have been to the majority of the Sandals and Beaches resorts as well as all over the Caribbean and all the Sandals do vary. As far as luxury, Bahamas would rate amoung the top but does not have golf, beach is small and it is extremely expensive but a wonderful resort. <BR> <BR>St. Lucia - Halyocn is more laid back and with a better beach. The larger is more luxurious but also tons more people. Great suites there though where at Halycon, the concierge room is almost exactly the same as non-concierge rooms but does have true beachfront rooms. Cocneirge rooms at the larger are higher on the bluff with great views not all levels) Sand is much darker on St.Lucia due to it being a volcano island but water is still clear - calmer at Halycon. <BR> <BR>JAmaica - The resort in Ocho Rios will offer the golf. Ocho Rios Sandals is wonderfully romantic with the gardens bith a very small beach. Dunn's is most luxurious but one fo the more active. I do agree that Negril has by far the best beach on Jamaica and gret suites and rooms right on the beach. Also beautiful sunsets. Sandals MoBay is very active - great fun but a different atmosphere. Royal is more relaxing, smaller, kind of split beach, very romantic. Have not been to Beaches Plantation but have heard wonderful things. <BR> <BR>Sandals Antigua is very romantic, laid back, great beach with calm waters, beautiful gardens, quieter at night and nice top suites.