September Island Honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2013, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I know nobody really has a crystal ball , but how much folly ( hurricane-wise) would it be to plan a honeymoon to St. Lucia for the first week in September? Do the islands shut down during hurricane season, or is it business as usual? Want to go somewhere new for a lazy week of beach time and umbrella drinks. We have both been to Hawaii and Mexico multiple times but neither of us has been to the Carribbean. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 03:08 AM

The islands do not shut down during hurricane season, life goes on as normal. Personally I would not risk it, not for a honeymoon. Even if there is no hurricane, the rain can linger for days, no matter what anyone else says about short sharp showers that clear up, this has not been my experience in St Lucia. I almost always visit the Caribbean during hurricane season and have only cancelled once, but even so I would not risk for a honeymoon.
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 05:54 AM
WWK

I totally agree with the post above. September is the height of hurricane season, and even if there's no hurricane, there can be plenty of rain in many of the islands. Why risk it during your honeymoon?
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 06:54 AM
KVR

As stated it's a risk. We have traveled many times during the months of August and September and we watched impatiently the weather channel to see of our trip was going to be cancelled. Though it was never cancelled we did arrive to the after effects when businesses and activities were closed due to damage. It's just not worth it and we don't travel during that time frame anymore.

With that said we did go to Aruba in a September and had no issues with the weather, so you just don't know. Even if you buy trip/hurricane insurance it will not make up or a bad vacation.

We went to St. Lucia in a November when Hurricane Wilma was hitting, our trip to Cozumel was canceled and we rescheduled to St. Lucia, and though we were not in the path of the hurricane, we got rain for the entire week and that was in a November. The only time, in a November that we have traveled that we had bad weather.

For a honeymoon, I would want to ensure the best possible vacation I could, so I personally would not take a chance on the Caribbean during that time.
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 07:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's a gamble for sure. And one I personally wouldn't take for a 1st trip to the Caribbean and honeymoon. Even if no hurricane it is likely to be hot, humid, and rainy season most places.

I'd consider Hawaii and just go to a part you haven't visited before. Have you already been to all the islands?
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 07:27 AM

I live in the Caribbean and have a slightly different take on this question than the others who replied.

First, while September is peak time for hurricanes in the Caribbean the odds of a major storm affecting a specific island during a given week or so are relatively small. If there are no storms in the area you can expect some very nice weather conditions.

Second, St. lucia is fairly far south and the old adage is that the further south you go the less chance there is of a major tropical storm hitting the island.

Third, to put things in perspective, since 1851 there have been only 16 named tropical storms/hurricanes that have affected St. Lucia in September. The last one was almost 20 years ago on September 10, 1994. FYI - You can research the frequency of major storms/hurricanes for St. Lucia or any other Caribbean Island at www.stormcarib.com - use the "Climatology" link then select "Hits & Misses" followed by your intended destination.

Fourth, the islands don't "shut down" for hurricane season but they do slow dan. Some resorts and restaurants do close because tourism does drop off substantially - but don't worry you'll still be able to On the plus side you won't find any crowds and you are likely to have many of the beaches "all to yourselves".

So, you have to evaluate the risk and decide if you are comfortable with the odds. Remember, no one can guarantee what type of weather you'll run into no matter where you go for your honeymoon. If you do choose to go to the Caribbean in September consider purchasing Trip Insurance with "Hurricane Coverage" just to be on the safe side.
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated. Hawaii is out-- I lived there for 10 years and have been everywhere, plus we were just there again in March. May contemplate Costa Rica or Belize but would dearly love to visit the Carribbean. The wedding date COULD be changed to Nov 2 from Sept 7. Or could still get married 9/7 and travel in November. Augh! So many details!
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 10:22 AM
KVR

We travel the first week of November or December every year due to better weather, low crowds and lower costs. The past couple years going the first week of December we had issues getting in and out of the US due to snowed in airports. We are going this year this first week of November.

If I knew then what I know now about traveling to the Caribbean, I would have gotten married the 3rd week of May. Remember traveling for future anniversaries will play a part in choosing a wedding date.

I would go with Costa Rica. Peace Lodge and their sister resort The Springs Resort would be a great place(s) to spend a honeymoon.
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 12:17 PM
WWK

We travel almost every November to the Caribbean and have had ( mostly) gorgeous weather. If you can postpone your honeymoon until then, you'll have a much better chance of a sunny vacation!
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 04:08 AM

Costa Rica and Belize usually have even higher risk of wash out torrential rain days.

Most of the time, if there's not an actual hurricane, the weather is amazing, the water usually calm and cleared than other times of the year.

I travel frequently in September, and would keep doing it.

I understand a honeymoon is extra special, so definitely get hurricane insurance, so you can transfer flights and hotel to somewhere else just in case.

I'm like roams around, I would plan it anyway. The chances of any of us prediciting the weather is actually non existent. Chances are in your town the meteorologist isn't right many times. Caribbean is even harder as islands are so small big stroke pass through fairly quickly. (as opposed to mainlands)

You might want to aim for a flatter in general dryer island.

Most islands if you look at stats are few and far between. If we could predict which ones were going to be hit, we would be worth a fortune.

Even National Huriccane Center, where every site gets it's info from, doesn't get it right each time! What I like at stir Carib.com, is they have actually people reporting from each island about real weather as it happens.

Now the hilly islands during that season are prone to rainy days too. That's why they tend to be more lush.

But when it doesn't rain, they are the best days of the year. Super calm super clear waters.

So pick a backup place just in case you have to transfer, get insurance, go through a travel agent that can help on your behalf, but go!

If you have the misfortune (and chances truly are slim to pick an island that's will be hit if there's even a hurricane around in the first place) to have one, chances are again, not a direct hit. If it does, most of the time you have time to evacuate. If not, you'll definitely have stories to tell!

For me, every place in the world has chances for crazy weather. Look at Oklahoma right now. Look at California with earthquakes. I'm sure you lived through some cyclones in Hawaii during your time.

Unfortunately weather happens. Just have plans in place and you should be fine.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 08:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
November would be a MUCH better bet, weather-wise, pretty much anywhere.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 07:42 AM

We went to Couples Swept Away in Jamaica for our Anniversary. We were there at the end of October and the weather was amazing! Slight rain on some afternoons, but all and all gorgeous. We just bought trip insurance just in case. I recommend that resort. Absolutely the best vacation we have ever taken.. and we have been to Hawaii, Costa Rica, Mexico multiple times.