Search

Which Island?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 1999, 07:34 PM
Judi Larkin

Which Island?

Hello, <BR>Been reading all the posts about the islands! We're in our 50's & travel a few times a yr. We've been to Hawaii 3-4 times, Fl., several times, Jamaica, twice & loved the tropical climate. (Jan or Feb.) We would like to go to a different island in the carribean. Want to go in winter, we're from NH,so we like to get away from cold for a wk. so, we want to plan a family vaca. Our adult child. are in they're 20's , women, & we love some shop., good food, snorkeling, some site seeing, but lots of lazing around in the sun. <BR>I always plan our vacas, & do so economically by searching internet! (I really love to do this!) <BR>Please can someone suggest somewhere for us by the info I've given you? <BR>Orient Beach @ St Martin's with vs Anquilla sounds wonderful! I do like to stay on beach & have in Hawaii & other places without breaking the bank. Thanks for your help!

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 06:49 AM
Cheri

Anguilla is fantastic, but the snorkeling is so-so and there is virtually no shopping. Just small shops here and thee. We got so desperate we actually went to all the properties and shopped the hotel gift shops.

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 07:48 AM
Louis

Tortola in the British Virgin Islands appears to meet most of your requirments. Shopping in not the big thing in most of the Caribbean. However, you can take the ferry over to St. Thomas from Tortola for a fenzy of shopping in the "duly free stores" as a fun day trip. BVI is a friendly safe place with lots of things other than shopping to do although there are a few shops in Road Town that have some things of interest to buy. There are lots of fun boat trips from there. Check out http://www.frenchmans.com. It offers excellent packages for your situation. They are located very near the ferry landing.

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 04:35 PM
Judy

Hi Judi, <BR> <BR>Every winter my husband and I visit the Caribbean for a week. We've been to Aruba which is flat. Good for walkers, bicycling, swimming and snorkelling. They have nightlife and gambling. It's very dry there. <BR> <BR>St. Kitts is a gorgeous island. Lush. The main village is a sleepy affair. Great snorkelling at a reef near Jack Tar. Golf. Horseback riding. Some fine restaurants. Go out to Rawlins Plantation for an afternoon--well worth it (be sure to eat there). <BR> <BR>Puerto Rico -- so so (but it was a business trip, so that may be clouding my opinion). <BR> <BR>St. Thomas -- just got back. Really enjoyed it. Photo essay on my home page: <BR>http://people.ne.mediaone.net/hoppnb..._contents.html <BR> <BR>Caicos. Really enjoyed it. GORGEOUS beach. Took excursions with Captain Bill to various places. One island was wall to wall conch shells free for the taking. Highly recommend! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 01:30 PM
tweedy

I would recommend a trip to the Bahamas, I have been going for a long time and you have choices for the kind of vacation you are looking for, there's Nassau with lots of places to stay and lots of restaurants and shopping or go to one of the family islands, like Harbour Island. <BR> <BR>There are several resorts, that would probably fit your budget and lots of restaurants and cafe's, (even a deli and bakery) <BR> <BR>The beach there is one of the 10 most beautiful in the world according to Islands Mag a few years ago, pink sand that feels like flour. <BR> <BR>It's easier to get there than some other islands further down, you can fly out of Logan to Miami and on to Nassau and beyond. (I am from Mass, but live in NYC now) I try to get to the Bahamas and "veg" a couple of times a year and as I write this I realize I NEED A VACATION, lol. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, and if I can be of any more help, please let me know. <BR> <BR>tweedy <BR>