Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which is better - Island hopping cruise or a long stay on one island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 07:40 PM
traveller

I have never been on a cruise before and I wonder how much of a land experience you can really get from just a few hours visit during an island hopping cruise. What is the attraction of a cruise? All I ever hear about is how much everyone can eat but why spend all that money and travel time if all you want to do is eat? What am I missing?

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 09:02 PM
Steve

As soon as you enter the cruise ship you are in a different state of mind. The steel bands playing as the ship sets sail, cocktails flowing,for the most part it's a city on water. If you choose a cruise that has lots of islands to visit it seems you are always in a rush. Getting up early to visit the island, going strong all day and we party at night. This gets you very tired after a week, I need a vacation from my vacation. If you visit Bermuda the ship docks there for a couple of days and you can come and go as you please. We have gone on many cruises and when we visit an island we like we then go back and stay a week or more.There is so much food but there is so much more to do other eat.The staff pampers you soooo much, pulling your chair out for dinner, puts your tea bag in your hot water, puts chocolates on your pillow at night, gives you the weather and temp. for the next day. They spoil you and when you get home you want to go back. I love to cruise . <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 05:39 AM
Parrot Mom

There is no straight answer...I love to cruise to Bermuda where the ship sits in St. George for several days before cruising back home. Steve is absolutely right..you use your ship as a hotel.. A cruise is a great deal. You get your entertainment, lots of food, great service, room with a steward to clean up after your and opportunity to visit many ports to see what you like and a taste of them...One one of our first cruises we went to Cozumel and loved it so much we went back for a week in the winter..and on the other hand...a cruise stop in Ochos Rios left us so frustrated with the local people that we have vowed never ever to go to Jamaica.. The problem is that cruise ships go into a port..stay for six or eight hours..you've gotten off the ship..taken a tour or a booze cruise and never get a chance to enjoy the island...then your off to the next port... the same thing.. The best cruises we have taken are the ones that have days at sea, fewer ports.. Do try a cruise...try one that stays in one spot for the entire day..try the Bermuda cruise either from Boston (my favorite) or New York..it gives you a taste of both worlds..

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 12:14 PM
JanGail

Traveller, <BR>The previous posters said it all! You <BR>can do as much or as little as you <BR>want on a cruise ship-- total relaxation <BR>or do lots of activities on and off <BR>the ship! On a cruise, you can get a <BR>taste of different islands and maybe <BR>find one you would like to come back <BR>to for a land vacation! At least you <BR>won't go totally blind to an island <BR>you have never seen before. So a land <BR>vacation can be a great thing to do <BR>as well. We have done both-- actually, <BR>we alternate years doing cruises and <BR>land vacations--even years are for <BR>land vacations and odd years are for <BR>cruises! Works out great too! <BR>JanGail

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Jane

It depends on ur personality. My husband likes to be given an agenda and told where to go. HE LOVED THE CRUISE. I am spontaneous and thought the cruise was limiting and after a while one island port looked the same as the other. We have travelled to several islands and there you can venture whereever and get a real feel of the island. A cruise has everything on the boat then they give you a little time to wander off. Hope this can help.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 03:55 PM
Pam

We love Windjammer cruises. Sail at night, different island every day - for the whole day! You get to visit islands not frequented by the huge floating hotels. Very casual - shorts, Ts, bathing suits. 3 meals a day. Make your own entertainment. Fabulous!

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:41 AM
paul

Everyone has different vacation tastes and preferences, so there's no one answer. I took a five island cruise and really enjoyed it, but, compared to staying on an island, it's no contest. <BR>What can you do in 6 or 7 hours? It's like always having appetizers but never an entree. I'll take a week on one island, any time.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Steve

I've done several of both. What I like about a cruise in the Caribbean is the actual sailing experience; the warm breezes; lounging on deck; the cocktails at sunset; the water sports available off the ship..I highly recommend the Windstar group for this experience. The Windjammer is a low end version. But forgeddabout the islands themselves..they are a mere diversion(albeit pleasant) from the real experience.In fact, I don't think it makes much difference what the ports are.