Reload this Page >

Advice needed!! St John Honeymoon April 01

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Ashley

Has anyone stayed at the Peter Bay Gatehouse in St John??

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Johnye

No, but have visited St. John several times. I'd be happy to answer general questions about St. John.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Ashley

Actually I have quite a few questions. We have rented a villa on the north shore that does not have a/c. Do you think that It will be too hot not to have a/c at the end of april. Do you think that it would be better to have a more private house with a pool that it father away from the beach or a villa with a hot tube that is in walking distance to peter bay??

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Johnye

I would take the house closer to the bay myself. We love to snorkel. It would just depend on whether you prefer snorkeling/swimming in the bay or just hanging out by the pool. If I remember correctly, isn't Peter Bay more of a private area? I seem to remember it was rather difficult to get to if not actually staying in a house there. (By that, I mean that folks just driving by on the very curvy road could only get a glimpse of it.) <BR>As for A/C, we stayed at a condo in town. (Cruz Bay, sort of on the western end.) The upstairs bedroom did not have a/c, and it got rather warm, but not unbearable. And we were there in July. On the other hand, I live in Alabama, which is rather hot and humid, to say the least, so I may be more used to the heat than others. Hope this helps.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Jim

I haven't stayed at the Peter Bay Guesthouse, but I have gone by it numerous times. There is an electronic gate that opens and closes whenever anyone enters Peter Bay, and it sounds kind of noisy, and it is right next to Peter Bay Gatehouse (like about 2 feet). However, I don't think many people go in and out. <BR> <BR>I have never had A/C in any of the villas where I've stayed, and it has never been a problem (and I usually go in June or July). <BR> <BR>I would suggest a pool and hot tub as a first priority, and access to a beach as a second. Most villas on the North Shore are close (10 minutes or less) from the beaches. While you can get right on the beach, it can cost a lot of $s and availability is also a problem. <BR> <BR>There are no private beaches in the USVI, but the only land access to Peter Bay is via the homes within Peter Bay (it is gated as I noted above). Of course, people do anchor their boats off shore and swim to the beach - it is usually completely isolated. <BR> <BR>If you go, and you like cheeseburgers and cold beer in a a laid back outdoor atmosphere, don't forget Skinny Legs in Coral Bay. <BR> <BR>Jim.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Nancy

I think a Peter Bay GateHouse suite is a great choice for a honeymoon. The location on the northshore is wonderful and the suites, from the Internet photos, look tops. <BR> <BR>We usually try to get a/c in the bedrooms, just as insurance, and a villa with a pool would be great. However, villa in the same price range would be on the south shore, which is a scenic location, but a little longer drive to the best beaches. <BR> <BR>I don't think you will regret staying in a gatehouse suite. You should get a car for your stay, regardless.