Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Aruba, Jamaica, or the Bahamas for a trip leaving Oct. 28, 2001??? Help!

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 02:23 PM
Leah

If anyone can point me to the right island(s) for a 5-6 day honeymoon trip leaving on Oct. 28, 2001??...I would really appreciate it. I know that it is the end of hurricane season, so I was thinking Aruba was best because it is "out of the path"....but I don't have any experience in the caribbean islands or the bahamas. The bottom line is that we just want to lay on the beach the whole time and relax...execpt for one day of snorkeling! Where should we go?

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 07:51 PM
Gail

Stick with Aruba at that time of year. You'll be safe from hurricanes.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Mary

I've been to all 3 islands and I would definitely suggest Aruba. It was by far my favorite. And with some of the late year hurricanes, Aruba is probably the safest for weather. Enjoy!

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Lee

Leah, I'll stick with Gail and Mary and suggest Aruba.

Having done all three, I prefer it when you have a week to work with. When we have only four days and can get a good bargain, we go to Nassau, but Aruba would be the first choice, but again, you really need a week.

Pick a place on Palm Beach, it's the best. You can book that snorkel trip right on the beach on one of the catamanran's moored off shore.

It is dry, so no rain, but not real lush, either. The beach has sand like sugar and the friendliest people with some great restaurants. It is breezy with 10 mph winds, but no flying insects, either.

The weather almost promises to be perfect.

Best of luck.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 11:05 AM
John

Without a doubt, Aruba. Honeymoon memories are forever, and you wouldn't want a hurricane to ruin it.

Plus, Aruba is the best choice anyway.

Enjoy & congrats!!

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 07:08 PM
sam

I would suggest Aruba. We were there in Nov. 2000 for thanksgiving and also in summer of 96 for our anniversary. We stayed at the Hyatt. Highly recommend it,especially for honeymoon, it's very romantic. Stayed at the Marriott this time and wasn't impressed. Preferred the beach a little bit more at the Marriott, but the Hyatt is definitely a nicer resort overall. Haven't stayed at the Radisson, but it looked lovely. Wouldn't suggest any other properties.

Been to Bahamas 3 times within the past two years. We stayed at the Atlantis, Royal Towers twice. Fantastic if you're going with a group of people or your children (my kids loved it). Huge property, very crowded and lot of kids--not something you want on your honeymoon.

Never been to Jamaica, afraid of it. Good Luck!