Which Caribbean Island Should I Visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I have been looking for a while at many different places along the Caribbean and even on Central America. Lately, I was looking a lot at Caye Caulker, Turks and Caicos, and St. John.

Here is what I'm looking for: The best snorkeling and diving I can get (clear water, colorful coral, diverse marine life), a relaxed atmosphere, caves and mountains for hiking and exploration, pretty beaches, some fine dining, and zip lining. Budget isn't really an issue. We have a family with a man, women, a 14 year old boy, and a 12 year old boy. Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 11:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes St John offers everything on your list.

Grand Caymans or Hawaii would too.
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

More information: We are flying from New Mexico. Caves aren't really a necessity, but I do like spelunking. It is fine if there is an island with everything else mentioned, but not caves. We also prefer to do a few tours and guide-led trips (mostly for snorkeling and scuba off coast), but we generally go on our own.
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Even more information: We cannot go the Grand Caymans because we were just there not too long ago. I would also prefer not to go to Hawaii because of how touristy it can be. I have also sort of steered clear from St John because it seems too slow-paced for us with not enough stuff to do.
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 12:23 PM

<prefer not to go to Hawaii because of how touristy it can be>

You do understand, that not ALL of ALL the Hawaiian islands are "touristy", right?

St John IS slow paced, but does have everything on your wish list.
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 12:36 PM

So Hawaii is too touristy, and St John is too slow and not enough to do? Isn't that a contradiction?

St John has PLENTY to do, and almost mirrors your wishlist.

And if you consider STJ to slow, then you need to take Caye Caulker off your list....probably one of the sleepiest places around....all there is to do is drink and dive and fish.
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 02:48 PM

St John has everything but zip lining. But that is available on St Thomas. Oh, and no caves. ;-)
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 03:13 PM

http://www.saintjohnadventures.ca/
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

sure thats the wrong st. John.
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 03:39 PM

The best snorkeling and diving I can get (clear water, colorful coral, diverse marine life)-Belize
a relaxed atmosphere- any of the islands you mentioned
caves and mountains for hiking and exploration- St Lucia, BVI, Costa Rica
pretty beaches- any of the isles you mentioned,
some fine dining- Turks and Caicos, St Lucia,
and zip lining- hmm, Costa Rica only comes to mind.
yet as onthebow- we are usually sailing and can fashion a swing from the rigging.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 07:46 AM

suze: That is why people are so adamant about the no apostrophe. Your "St. John's" link is in Canada. St John, USVI has no zip line. However, as I said, http://ziplinestthomas.com/.;-)
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

onthebow, if you had to choose one that most fits all of those items, which would it be?
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 08:32 AM

Depending on how long you want to go for and if you want one base- you could Island hop to 2 different resorts in the USVI and BVI if you want to be land based. You could also stay at one resort in BVI and island hop by day- the resort may offer trips and there are water taxis. The snorkeling can be good to great- wrecks, caves, and sadly some compromised reefs. Nice beaches, dining, and small hill/mountains. If the boys are social- they are sure to find others to go about with.

Turks has fine dining, crystal clear water, and very weather dependent snorkeling. Scuba is better here imo.and requires a boat ride to the site. You have a lot of day trip options to out islands and beaches for snorkeling and exploring. I would stay at either end of Grace Bay Beach to feel more "away from it all". The place is too popular- rightfully so. The kiteboarding scene has taken off here and the boys are a great age to try that.

If budget really is not in consideration Sugar Beach St Lucia is another good option.

Which of the 5 are your priority? You can compromise on a category and pin point where to go. Or I can just keep going on about a region I love ...

Typically when you have a very active "tourist" Island the water and snorkeling has suffered. Best snorkeling I have had think protected from hotels and infrastructure.
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

onthebow, as we are a very snorkeling orientated family, we are really looking for peaceful, serene locations where we can get great snorkeling. St. John can offer this and good land activities/hiking right?
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 04:09 AM

St. John has some of the best snorkeling (both walk-in and boat access) in the Caribbean. 2/3's of the island is a National Park - more hiking there than most people can do in the average week or two vacation.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 06:04 AM

If you are into snorkeling, then St John and the close by BVIs would be the ticket.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 10:50 AM

Agree St John is the best island for walk in snorkeling and hiking combination. Day trip to the BVI is an added bonus. Great town center with bars and restaurants as well in Cruz Bay, St John.
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 06:06 PM

This is a great article. It gave me a lot of useful information. thank you very much
my site http://www.tinytanksunblocked.com
http://www.tiny-planes.com
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 05:49 AM