Which Caribbean island and resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seeking info from all you Caribbean experts. Hubby and I have never been to the Caribbean and plan to go for a little less than a week toward the end/middle of June. I could probably troll around and read extensively, but ... we're incredibly short on time!

We are 30, and like pristine beaches, romance, and luxury. We work all the time, and our plan on this trip is to do a lot of sitting by the beach, ordering drinks and food (resorts without poolside service would thus be totally out, as would be quaint inns and boutique hotels), mixed in with some sightseeing, and perhaps water sports (hubby loves boating). Anything that qualifies as family-friendly is *not* what we are looking for. This might be our last beach resort vacation before having kids and we intend to make the most of it. For us, the quality of the place we stay, the beauty and the food are top priority, with accessibility to water sports and SOME nightlife coming in second and third. We're not going on vacation to learn about Caribbean history or a forge a way off the beaten path, but we're also not into crowded cheesy tourist destinations either. As an example of what we like: Love Wailea in Maui, HATE Kanapaali (too crowded with toursity families running around). Love Kauai. Pretty much can't deal with anything under 4 star; really would rather stay at a 4.5 or 5 star hotel unless absolutely necessary. However, we're not wanting to spend more than $400 a night on a room tops.

So, any advice on what island, and what resort?
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:55 PM

nisbit plantation on nevis, sandy lane on barbados, cap jaluca on anguilla, one and only nassau, jumby bay antigua. not sure if rates at these resorts fit your budget but i know www.maromahotel.com comes close.
go to www.fivestaralliance.com for a much longer list of 5*'s.
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Virginia! While you gave him excellent choices, none are under $400 anight. If th e post trully wants 4.5 to 5 star accomadations, Caribbean is the wrong place at $400. Might find a decent 3 star.
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:57 PM

nisbit plantation is under $400/night, and four seasons nevis can be found for that price as well.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:17 PM

For a wonderful introduction to the Caribbean, I'd suggest going to Barbados. It has some of everything any island can offer except for gambling and a volcano. Lovely people, lush green tropical setting, clean air, pure water, wide range of hotels, beaches, water sports, sightseeing such as caves, tropical gardens, animal preserves, plantation houses, submarine ride. Outstanding restaurants, both in hotels and independent. All revolves around a British/Caribbean culture so you don't feel like you're just in tropical America. Barbados is a really special place with a strong economy, not dependent only on tourism, so a visitor experiences a sense of a place which is beyond just a resort on a beach. Generally avoid August-October (hurricane season). Otherwise weather is great all year-perpetual summer with water temps over 80 deg. even in winter. Lowest hotel rates are mid-April to mid-December, with a big jump in high season. Calmest water for swimming/snorkeling is on the calm west coast north of Bridgetown. IMO the best hotel on that stretch is Coral Reef Club. Family-owned for 50 years, low-rise and plantation cottage style hotel in tropical gardens and fine beach. Barbados is a really special place. See www.barbados.org and www.coralreefbarbados.com
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:27 PM

Goto Gallows Point on St. John at 15 - 20% Discount.
www.stjohngallowspoint.com
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:28 AM

Hmmmmm. All of your 4 posts are advertising Gallow's Point. For the original poster, Gallow's does not at all meet your criteria for poolside service and there is not much beach to speak of.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Not just Gallows Point, but a specific unit within Gallows Point. An obvious advertisement to solicit their unit, Chez Susana for rentals. It is so obvious it borders on humorous, although extremely tacky.
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Well, Lukesaunt, seeing as you mentioned Kauai, I am going to mention the only other place that I love as much as I do Kauai. That would be Nevis. If you can do the Four Seasons for $400 a night, you will be getting a good value. Don't worry about doing oceanfront. Even their garden rooms will capture your heart as they are luxurious. They have a great beach and don't forget that they have separate family areas. The FS Nevis is a classic!
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Recently visited both Four Seasons Nevis and Nisbet Plantation. I think Nisbet is a much better choice for a romantic vacation but depends on what you want. It is a very small, quiet, charming property with rooms in individual bungalows. Lots of character. If you want a big luxury property with all the bells and whistles then you'd probably prefer FS but in summer it will be inundated with families. Oh yes, and Nisbet's rates all include breakfast, high tea and dinner, an excellent value.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:39 PM

What about Bermuda? Not exactly Carib., but nice beaches, plus nice weather in June. My last pre-kid beach vacation was at Cambridge Beaches there - no kids in the dining room under 5.

Also, consider Anguilla. Not much in the way of nightlife, but some very casual, laid back options if you seek it out. Pristine beaches, absolutely, romance, yep, and luxury, sure, no problem. It is an arid island, however, not lush, just to forewarn you.
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:51 PM

think Gallows Point on st. john is nice but 5 star ???????? this is a condo resort..no one wil be waiting on you...there is no beach..sure it's waterfront but NO BEACH !!! as i said nice but not luxury.
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:28 PM

I have to say that this is what turns me against villas - We are a couple in our early 40's, we are leaving our 'offspring' at home, therefore we want ONE bedroom and no kitchen

Oh and beach side is important!
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:20 AM

I hesitated to reply to this post because the original poster is looking for ultimate luxury, drinks by the beach, and good food. I know AI is not noted for its food. But I have to say we have been spoiled often at Antigua Sandals. I know I know...how tacky is it to have the Sandals logo scrawled across the bottom of the pool as well as the sea wall!!!! Ha! But besides that, Sandals is OK....more than...

Drinks galore by the pool and beach loungers, and decent food, it is there... (admittedly we are not that into food)... We dressed up somewhat at night for dinner and dancing every night. We ventured off for meals at other places whenever we desired, even though our meals were included, and....I had lobster tails every night, included, in the OK Corral..(Although last time we were there, the lobster tails were not offered, probably due to people like me who ate it too often!!!! They did have lobster in their seafood buffet though.)

A Ritz Carlton it isn't, and they do have those crazy entertainment staff people, (but they have at least 3 quieter pools too)yet we had a wonderful vacation with everything we needed. No kids, water sports including water skiing, 3 or 4 restaurants, and round the clock food and drinks.....it worked for us, who, like the original poster, worked a lot and just wanted to sit around on the beach, ordering food and drinks!!!! (but did end up doing some exploring and sailing excursions)
Keep an open mind....it might work for you! Or perhaps one of the other resorts known for couples only?????
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM

I agree with Toppy, it seems All Inclusives my be the best for you. You can sit around and relax, party, and drink all you want on the property. I recommend Negril as for it's amazing 7 mile beach. It's the great place for long romantic walks along the beach. The cliffs and sunsets are great. The Jamaican culture, food and music will make the trip more memorable. Some of the resorts that come to mind are Grand Lido, Sandals, Couples, Hedonism III and SeptAway. Also look at the bigger Hotels on Aruba, Dom Rep, and Cancun for great AI trips.