Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where would you go with the following parameters?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2014, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We're figuring out where to go first week of Feb. for only 4 days. Flying out of Phila. and with the limited time, don't want to spend too much time on the transport. We're two adults in our fifties, no kids, up til now have shied away from the AI thing but open to it for this vacation as our main goals are warmth and relaxation. That being said, if there's somewhere non-AI we do love going to local restaurants, shops, etc. We wonder if with an AI, you even know you're somewhere other than Florida (in which case we might as well take the shorter trip there)?

A number of yrs. ago with a similar time constraint we flew to San Juan Puerto Rico and had a lovely vacation. Doing that again is an option but if we're going to spend that kind of money on airfare, we're thinking it would be nice to go somewhere we've never been, and friends/family keep recommending the Caribbean.

Any thoughts? Including, if we should just save this for when we have a full week?

We're thinking roughly in the 2K range for the trip, tho' less would be great, and more is possible if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 12:40 PM

Four days is hardly worth going out the door for. Florida.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 01:02 PM
KVR

I would think Florida in February would be too cool. For that short of time span and that low of a budget, I would say Mexico. We've done many AI's in the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area and you get more for your money there. However, if you are really against AI, there are several boutique hotels on and around 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen. Tons of bars and dining options within walking distance.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 01:03 PM

We are going to St. Martin for 4 days in February and our airfare and hotel is slightly over 2k for 2 adults. This does not include food and drinks. I prefer French St. Martin over the Dutch side but many people like the Dutch side too. I am not sure if you can get a direct flight from Philly but for a 4 day trip I think a non stop is essential. Personally, I really like San Juan as a quick winter getaway and have done it several times and would certainly do it again especially since the air from NYC to San Juan is very reasonable.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 01:06 PM

Actually I meant we are going to St. martin for 4 nights, so I guess that is 5 days. I have been to St. Martin several times and really like it because it's a place where you can explore and go to some wonderful restaurants in addition to being on the beach.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the opinions. I should have said, 4 1/2 full days, as we can fly out on the Wed. eve, and don't have to head back til Mon. afternoon.

I'll now research the options suggested. I'll also start to peruse the Florida board for suggestions there as well, thinking maybe Anna Maria or Marco islands.
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 07:26 AM

We spent 5 nights on St.John over Thanksgiving; Jet Blue flies direct from Boston. Not sure about Phila. but St. Thomas would involve even less travel time.
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 09:27 AM

Our son and his fiancé spent a week at Secrets in Punta Cana, DR. It's an AI and they loved it. The flight from Philly can't be too long. For just relaxation and a beach I think it's a good option.
Good luck, Larry.
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 04:49 PM

i'd have to say mexico.
you can fly thurs am 7:50 - in cancun at 10:45 and return lving at 2pm > on USAir $550/pp
lots of personality. nothing like florida as long as you get out of cancun and head somewhere south, like playa del carmen area.
hotel vans provide ride taking 45mins to an hour.
tons of ai's in every price/quality range.
tons of things to do if you're so inclined - from kayaking to ziplines.
all the info you could want at locogringo.com if you email them your parameters, they'll let you know which resorts are available.
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Turns out this time around for a variety of reasons we're heading back to Puerto Rico but in researching your other ideas I now have lots of info toward future trips.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 05:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a good choice for a short trip. Nonstop flights and resorts not far from the airport. Have fun.