Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

First time visit to Turks & Caicos -- would love advice on the island!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For years, my daughter has been interested in going on a traditional Caribbean vacation -- the blue water, beach etc. But I have dragged her up mountains, into caves, through gorges, down fast-water rivers, and into many countries where you can't drink the water.

And now, it's her turn to have her Caribbean vacation.

After way too much research -- and running out of airplane options -- we are heading the West Bay Club on Grace Bay, and I'm a bit nervous, although very excited for the upcoming family time and relaxation.

If, during this vacation, I need to see things that are exotic and naturally wild -- and not shops and spas -- where should we go? If I feel the need to escape the hotel strip that I think we're staying on, what are the most beautiful, natural, wild sites on the island?

As for beaches, I've heard that Grace Bay is beautiful. Any others we should try?

And then snorkeling -- all of us have a lot to learn, and I can't wait! Any recommendations on a good place to learn and to see the most beautiful fish? Should I rent equipment, or does it pay to buy an inexpensive set online? Or even just the flippers?

And finally, please assure me that despite my slightly feral, tom-boyish ways -- and my disinterest in shopping -- I will love this place. I know the ocean is gorgeous, and being close to water -- and with people you adore -- is hard to beat. I know I will love it here -- but if I can do even one slightly adventuring, exotic thing, that would mean the world to me.

Thank you, travellers!
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 03:25 AM
WWK

I love West Bay. We've stayed there several times. It has one of the most quiet and gorgeous sections of beach on Grace Bay. And, it's within a ten minute walk of CORAL GARDENS,which fronts one of the island's prime snorkeling spots ( although husband reports not as good this past January) and SOMEWHERE CAFE, an excellent Mexican restaurant, which we visited almost every day!

You can rent equipment at CORAL GARDENS, which is what five of us did in January. There's a tiny store that supplies everything just behind the beach, so no need to lug anything from home.

Two other beaches that are "the most beautiful, natural sites on the island" are: Chalk Sound and Taylor Bay. Have lunch at LAS BRISAS, which overlooks Chalk Sound. Afterwards, you can take a tour of the sound on their pontoon boat, or continue on to nearby Taylor Bay.

There's not much shopping, and only one decent spa that I can think of in Provo. It's a very quiet island, where most activities center on the water and lovely restaurants.

For adventure, you can take the ferry to North Caicos. We've never done it, but hopefully Blamona, the expert, will chime in here.

Have fun!
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 09:14 AM

Make sure to take a day trip to Middle Caicos--gorgeous scenery (and chance to see flamingos in the wild)

Ferry to North, car rental to Middle. Crazy causeway between the 2, Mudjin Harbour is spectacular! Hike path on cliffs, the path ends with hidden stairs to a cave opening into a private beach. Mudjin is amazing, with Dragon Cay made out of coral facing the beach. At low tide a sand bar appears so you can walk to it, high tide waves crash into each other.

Bamberra beach too, at low tide can walk out to a little uninhabited cay.

There are caves by Mudjin too, with bats.

North also has an old plantation in ruins, Wades Plantation.

Also take a half day trip with Island Vibes--snorkel the outer reef, jump into the abyss (weather permitting, so cool. Reef depths drop 6000 feet. Water is purple, and light bounces off a person looking neon and alien, so cool) dive for conch, and stop at stunning Half Moon Bay, where you can find iguanas, dive off the rooftop diving board.

other sources:

Fodor's In Focus: Turks and Caicos just came out directions, day trip plans, etc.

wherewhenhow.com click on current issue. You can also email them to send you a mag in mail, takes about 2 weeks
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 10:21 AM

rent a jeep and drive out to malcolm road beach on the west end of provo. it's beautiful, desolate (although amanyara is now on one end of this beach) and the drive out is an adventure. no services so take plenty of water, pack a lunch. there is fairly good snorkeling if you swim towards the reef.

i disagree with wwk re snorkel equipment. renting fins & the snorkel is ok, but the mask not so much. if it doesn't fit perfectly it can ruin the experience. while you're still at home, find a local dive shop & they'll tell you how to select a mask that fits. there are shops on island but more expensive!

the drive out to Northwest Point resort is good too, but all paved. if you go just past the resort there is a beach that is so far undeveloped. lots of shells and no people.

re first time/learning to snorkel - Coral Gardens is ideal. the reef is a relatively small circle directly in front of the resort. some in water shallow enough that you can stand in the sand & see stuff. early am is optimal for fish sightings as that's when they they like to eat. if you are very quiet sometimes you can actually hear the fish gnawing on the coral.

coral is very delicate and endangered. please please make sure you don't touch it or stand on it. best not to wear jewelry as it attract the attention of baracudas. turtles are often found swimming in "turtle grass" which is the short grass you'll see to the west side of coral gardens reef. you should also look for spotted eagle rays. they glide through the water & are just beautiful.

if anyone in you group is not a good swimmer, this might be helpful: http://www.leisurepro.com/p-snpcsv/s...el-vest-yellow when needed you just blow a couple breaths into the tube & it holds you up. can be deflated just as easily.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 07:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with the above advice and even have taken some notes about Middle Island and boat trips for our next adventure back to Grace Bay.

The mask fit is so important so we have our own. As far as I've seen (and maybe some places have updated) the snorkels are all very basic kind where you tend to get a choking tube full of water every now and then. We've purchased what they call a dry snorkel tube. It's got a spinny thing on the end that does not let the water in---a much better experience all around. Fins I'd rent as they are large to transport.

I have a feeling the stunning waters around TCI will call you back again & again. BTW, don't miss having dinner at Coco Bistro---beautiful setting and outstanding food.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much -- appreciate all ideas. I hadn't thought to ask about restaurants, but appreciate the input -- in a busy season, it's prob good to make reservations. After all, while we don't want to eat fancy . . . we do want to eat! thanks again