Search

Where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay

My boyfriend and I (age 25-26)want to take a vacation. He has never been off the continental US and I have not been to the Bahamas in over 10 years. We want a vacation that: does not break out bank, provides R&R, and does not require too much traveling (we reside in the Mid-Atlantic region).

We enjoy snorkeling and just lounging on the beach with a good book, good sun, and good company.

Though we are relatively young and would like kids one day, we don't enjoy areas with lots of kids- right now. (We would have opted for Disney World if we didn't mind...)

Any tips on where to stay and/or different activities to try? I've heard a lot of great things about Atlantis, but I'm hestitant because of all of the comments about all of the kids running around...
We would like to stay for 5-6 days and our budget is approximately $2000-2500.

Am I unrealistic in my budget? Any advice and direction is appreciated.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Are you only interested in the Bahamas? Does your budget include airfare? My one suggestion would be to schedule your vacation for the low season (generally April 15 to December 15) to get the best hotel rates.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I wouldn't recommend the Atlantis for relaxation. We went with a large group of family and had fun, but it is very busy there.
Try looking into Grand Cayman, St. John, or Turks/Caicos for relaxing on beautiful beaches that are fairly easy to get to.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

I am not restricted to the Bahamas- I thought it might be a good destination because its closer than the Dominican Republic and other islands... But I am open to other destinations.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Have you considered the Keys ?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Take a look at the Sibonne Hotel (http://www.sibonne.com/) in the Turks & Caicos. It's a very reasonably priced small hotel on one of the best beaches in the Caribbean. The rate includes a small continental breakfast too. There is very good snorkeling within a short distance of the Sibonne. Because of nearby construction that's scheduled to begin in the fall, they're only accepting reservations through the end of the summer. Worth looking into if you're interested at all in the Turks & Caicos.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Mexico's Mayan Riviera might be a good option for your budget.

I don't think you could do St. John even camping in low season for $2500 for a week.

Disney would likely cost you twice as much!!

Good luck!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM

I also recommend Sibonne in Provo. You can fly USair via Charlotte American Via Miami think Delta Via atlanta and also Check out Spirit via Ft Lauderdale
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Would second the Mayan Riveria area. We are in the Mid-Atlantic area as well and have been able to do a 5 day all inclusive that is within your budget. Some of the resorts are also adults only. Do you homework on this though or have your travel agent assist you. We used to stay at the Adventura Palace which is supposed to be adults only but they have started allowing families to stay there as well after they were hit with the hurricane last season. The beaches are great, the area is much more scaled down than the Cancun area. Snorkeling is great as well. You will be close to the town of Playa Del Carmen which is great to go into in the evenings for drinks, shopping, people watching and listening to music. Hope this helps.