Search

Where to Snorkel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 02:04 PM
xxx

Where to Snorkel?

We are cruising from San Juan to Aruba, Cuacao, Tortola/Virgin Gorda and St. Thomas USVI at the end of April. We are relatively inexperienced snorkelers and would like to know the best beach-side snorkeling experiences in any/all of these locations. In addition, if you have info about transportation to/from the ship to/from the beaches, I would appreciate that also. We are not particularly interested in the snorkeling packages offered by the cruise line. <BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 02:05 PM
xxx

By the way, I did a search, and in the first 50 responses, Anguilla was mentioned as the best snorkeling location. Unfortunately, we're not going there!

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 06:58 PM
xxx

Anyone?

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 10:52 PM
xxx

in aruba go to depalm island!fantastic the fish eat out of you hand & tons of them!do not forget your underwater camera!

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 10:26 AM
kaybee

Just returned from St. Thomas. The absolute best snorkeling was at Coki Point next to Coral World, you barely have to go out 4 feet and you can see fish. I would suggest that you get there as early as possible, it's not that big, and gets pretty crowded by 11:00am. There are concessions that rent all the gear you might need. Go to the left side of the beach, the snorkeling is just as good and it does't get as crowded. We liked to spend from 8-11am each time we visited. I would guess it to be a 30-35 min cab ride from the cruise dock judging from where we stayed. <BR>We cruised to Aruba 2 yrs ago and took a cab to Arashi(sp?)Beach for great snorkeling. Again, we did it early and had the small beach to ourselves for a while and then all the snorkeling tours started arriving just off shore. There are no concessions there, you would have to bring your own gear. We made arrangements with our cab driver to return for us at a set time. Hop this is helpful. Have a great trip.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Gerie

I agree with Kaybee 100% naming Coki Beach as the best beachside snorkeling on St. Thomas. It's nice to tell you to get there before all the cruise boat people show up, but hey, I see you're one of them. But if you jump in a cab as soon as you are allowed off the boat (and believe me, there will be a cab or two waiting) you might get some time at the beach before the snorkel package people get there. Another option is to go to St. John where there is also excellent snorkeling at just about all the beaches. You would have to get a cab to the ferry, take the 15 minute ride from Red Hook or 45 minute ride from Charlotte Amalie, then get a cab when you dock and head for the beaches. The most popular is Trunk Bay. But any will be great. <BR>Gerie