Search

Aruba under valued.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 02:08 AM
Francis

Aruba under valued.

<BR> <BR>I have been reading this board for quiet sometime now and I am trully impressed with the amount of negative reports on Aruba. When I left the island I have not heard not one negative comment and it seems as if everybody was dying to come back. I do not understand the Aruba hatered now. Ok its an arid island (does not particulary have to be ugly), its windy (why not go in august and september when it is less windy?), its Americanized ( aren't we the Americans contributing to the Americanization of Aruba by going to Mc Donalds or Burger King instead of going to a local snackbar?). Aren't we the Americans lazy to change our own American dollars for the Aruban florin which is their currency. We are slowly spoiling the Caribbean into America's playground and the reason why Aruba is hated today is because of we spoiling it in the past and in the present whether we like it or not. Fact is that within 50 years from now all of the Caribbean will be Americanized and over developed so will we be ending hating the entire Caribbean region? <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Fact is everything we hate of Aruba is caused either by ourselves or we are truly overreacting as we as Americans always do. <BR>I am amazed how many East coast Americans treat the Arubans at such a bad manner. Instead of hating an island, try to appreciate for what it stands for, try visiting the beautiful country side instead limiting yourselves to the hotel area which will indeed give you another impression. Aruba is clean, Aruba is beautiful, Arubans are friendly, Aruba is safe and that makes it one of the Caribbean's best destinations.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 02:26 AM
xxxxxx

my family went to Aruba last year - we found the management at our hotle (divi divi) to be the rudest people we have ever encountered. We were almost robbed on Baby Beach and the island has no real history. The only thing this island has going for it is the weather. We have been to about 10 different islands but we would never return to Aruba.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 05:36 AM
chazz

Francis makes some good points, but I have a question about the "Americanization" process: <BR> <BR>Why is is that Jamaica, which has been hosting large quantities of US tourists for at least 40 years, doesn't seem very Americanized (although I did spot an alleged Burger King in a trailer in Montego Bay), while Aruba, which has only had significant tourism for about 25 years, looks just like Florida? <BR> <BR>Aruba has many advantages (relatively safe, mostly friendly, warm in the dead of winter), but I think it is a destination most appropriate for US tourists who want "all the comforts of home" when they travel. Those who like to experience a different culture should look elsewhere. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:45 AM
lib

One difference between Jamica and Aruba is that Jamica does not have an american oil refinery. The refinery on Aruba use to be the workplace of many Americans who were transferred down there. Most of the other Caribbean islands have Americans come to visit but not on a regular basis living there. That may be the reason for some of the Americanization. I loved Aruba!! I thought the people were very friendly, the beaches were great and the restaurants good. I would go back in a minute. St. Lucia is the island I would never return to even if you paid me!!

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:23 AM
Eileen

Went to Aruba in 2000 -- loved the friendliness of the people, cleanliness, safety, gorgeous beaches, beautiful water and wonderful restaurants. Yes, it is a little overbuilt and a bit too American for my taste but I went for great weather, fantastic beaches and a challenging golf course and I got what I went for. Not my favorite Caribbean destination but certainly undeserving of all the bashing.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:09 AM
Lori

We loved Aruba! Great weather, friendly people, beautiful hotels, lovely beaches, delicious restaurants, easy to get around, things to do in the evening.....it is a wonderful place to vacation.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 04:43 PM
Karen

Maybe it is the nature of this board because on some other boards, people do nothing but rave about it. Frankly and thankfully not every island is "perfect" for everyone. Just because an island did not "fit," doesn't mean that someone "hates" or "bashes" it ... actually the posts here have been pretty mild compared to others I have seen that really do dislike the island for various reasons! Aruba is a popular destination obviously for many reasons and many are repeat visitors. Price, weather, timeshare opportunities, familiarity with hotels like Hyatt, Raddison, etc., the gambling, the great beach, "packages" with charter air were plentiful, familiarity and being content with seeing OutBacks, MikeyD's and all the "outlets" you see at home (some people find that great especially if they bring the kids!) - all and more are reasons for the attraction. But even Arthur Frommer finds it not to his liking!! But "hatred"? No! Preferences for other islands, Yes. And for many reasons! For example, I don't travel to the Caribb in August and September when you recommend going to avoid the wind. I travel only between November and April and August and September are right in the hurricane season (yes, even in Aruba!) and know I take my chances with November! And there is absolutely nothing wrong with Aruba if it provides for you the wonderful Paradise that you want! But, for some, and maybe they just appear to be more vocal here, there are other preferable places that meet their needs/wants/desires better!!

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 04:28 AM
Robyn

Karen: I absolutely agree with you and you make some very good points. I think what gets people annoyed is when others complain about Aruba on flimsy grounds. Personally, I think complaining about the trade winds is going a bit overboard. It's like complaining about the heat or the rain. As far as it being "Americanized", I think that is also a bit unfair. It certainly accommodates American tastes but so do a dozen other islands in the Caribbean do. <BR>But you're absolutely right, everyone has their own opinion.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 05:02 AM
Lila

Mr. XXX: Don't leave us hanging. How were you "almost" robbed on Baby Beach? Just curious. Thanks. <BR> <BR>And yes, if all people had the same preferences what crowded vacations we'd have. I hate Disney--the lines, the mouse, the $4 water--but it makes a wonderful vacation for others. Diversity is good.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:54 AM
Karen

Robyn, <BR>No, it's not "overboard." I want a warm wonderful spot where I can go from sun up to sun down, lay on a beach and bake and read in solitude, every day, until I am thoroughly well done! My most active exercise should be turning over at intervals to ensure an overall even tan! I had heard about the "breezes" but never expected to not be able to sit on the beach becaue of the constant wind and the biting blowing sand! There was no escape from it! To go anywhere and have to retreat to a pool or other activity is not my idea of fun or enjoyment as my goal is very clear! I take my chances with the weather (and have had my share of liquid sunshine days - by the way most "showers" on other islands, I just stay where I am but do have a clear plastic poncho for the beach! and seek the heat!) but when I learned that what I experienced are indeed the "breezes" that everyone loves and I could not sit comfortably on the beach for the entire time, that is not over the top! That was soooo disappointing ... the rest, the Americanization, is someone's personal opinion! But, Cancun is the only other place that I have experienced the same "feel" of Aruba - and I only lasted an hour and a half there!

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 08:57 AM
JanGail

First of all, let me state that the <BR>following comments about Aruba are <BR>MINE, and mine alone! <BR>About Aruba--- I love the island for <BR>it gives me the beach I want, friendly <BR>people who can speak English (I'm deaf <BR>so I lip-read in English!); good <BR>restaurants, including the el cheapo <BR>American fast food places (to keep <BR>food costs down; quickie snacks, etc.) <BR>I like the smaller, more intimate <BR>resorts such as the Manchebo Beach <BR>Resort or the Bucuti Beach Resorts-- <BR>service is great and the staff are <BR>always very friendly. And as an added <BR>bonus, both resorts are located on a <BR>huge, wide, gorgeous beach with plenty <BR>of room to sunbathe and vegetate, lots <BR>of shade huts and palm trees to retreat <BR>from the heat. The trade winds are <BR>brisk enough to rattle the newspapers <BR>you're attempting to read and blow <BR>papers not weighted down, but certainly <BR>from, my experience, not the sand-blast <BR>variety. Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao <BR>are located outside the hurricane belt <BR>and a hurricane at any of these islands <BR>are extremely, extremely rare. In <BR>fact it is during the hurricane season <BR>that Aruba is less windy-- hurricanes <BR>elsewhere in the Caribbean tends to <BR>suck the tradewinds away from Aruba. <BR>As to the comments about Aruba on this <BR>forum-- I personally did not detect any <BR>"hatred" for the island. I feel that <BR>people who visit Aruba and come away <BR>disappointed had different expectations <BR>of what they consider a great vacation. <BR>To each his own! <BR>JanGail

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 07:06 AM
Mel

I just returned from Aruba. The people are wonderful and the weather is great! I don't understand all this Aruba bashing. We stayed at the Divi Divi Resort and could not have been more please. <BR> <BR>Someone ask why Jamaica was not more Americanized? That's an easy question to answer. The Jamaican people do not want us there!

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 08:28 AM
sam

Go to Grand Cayman 7 mile beach to get out of the sand biting wind. Its always beautiful and calm there since the winds come from behind you. I don't think that I would like to be pelted with sand (sandblasted!) either!!

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 10:37 AM
xxx

I'd love to hear from Lib as to why he/she would never return to St. Lucia.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Karen

Lucky enough to have been to 14 Caribbean Islands.....and Aruba is my favorite.....go figure!!!!!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Jake

First of all, when I go to the beach I'm not looking for a 'cultural' experience. I'm looking for sun, sand and relaxation. For my family Aruba was glorious. The wonderful people, the gentle but active nightlife, the great resturants, and the fanatastic beachs. As far as it being Americanized; unlike much of the Caribbean, Aruba is not a third world country. Therefore, one is naturally going to find the same type of fast food resturants and shopping opportunities that one would expect in a Western country. If you want to experience another country, go where tourists aren't not where they are. <BR> <BR>I LOVE ARUBA!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:33 AM
john

I agree. I go for the beach and relaxation too. I'm not looking for the cultural experience. Just a place to relax. Not looking to experiment, either. People shouldn't put down a place just because its "Americanized". <BR>Go to a third world place. After all, to each his own!!!!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 10:02 AM
anonymous

No, definately go to Aruba. You can get all the familiarity you want! Outback, Dunkin' Donuts, Olive Garden (sorry, not that familiar with frozen fast food chains), American chain hotels with Caribb pictures on the wall and tropical bedspreads. Feels like the comfortable suburbs of Anytown, USA but just happens to be on a lovely beach! And there are plenty of islands that offer a Carib experience with some wonderful culture and a "foreign" fare - they are not hard to find but if you never look, you don't know what you are missing!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 10:23 AM
baby

I'm not a U.S citizen..(remember people, all of us born in "America" are "Americans"...not just yourselves) and I work in the tourism industry. I have been to Aruba many times and enjoy tremendously every single trip..I don't mind the McDonald's, the Wendys and the like..my problem with "americanized" destinations is the neverchanging attitude you people have every time you visit a foreing country or a third world destination...I have received complaints because local people don't speak perfect english, no satellite tv with HBO and ESPN, no breakfast with scrambled eggs, bacon and Wheaties...and so on... <BR>I mean, if you want those things then why on earth don't you stay at home and make our lives a little easier !! Europeans are far more relaxed and just try to blend in with the locals, learn their language and eat their food. Isn't that the purpose of a vacation to a foreign country??? <BR>I don't see anyone making an effort to speak MY language when I visit the U.S...

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 03:37 PM
dx

Why don't us Americans just buy ourselves a Carib. island and do it the way we want to? That will finally solve the issue!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -