Reload this Page >

Where to Go?? Need Help?

Search

Where to Go?? Need Help?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 05:24 AM
Erica Martin

Where to Go?? Need Help?

Most people in this forum seem to be pretty experienced vacationers. <BR> <BR>Me and my family are looking for some carribean island to vacation on. Any personal experience advice would be great! <BR> <BR>We have never gone to the carribean or any other exotic vacation spot. We'v travelled all around thes states an Canada, though. <BR> <BR>We're looking to go on a vacation spot that: <BR> <BR>-has historical sites and tours <BR>-family oriented. <BR>-good shopping <BR>-nice beaches and good weather <BR>-not famous for crime <BR>-good entertainement and cuisine. <BR>Or any other place you went and thought it was fabulous. <BR> <BR>Also, we we're wondering which islands we're usually the best bang for your buck (like where you don't have to a millionaire to have a good time.) <BR> <BR>ANY advice is welcome!! <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>Completely Carribean Clueless.

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 03:42 AM
Sue

Sounds like yuo just described Aruba! <BR>We just got bak and used an agent we found on this bulletin board and found that their prices were much better than what we had found listed in our local papers: http://www.travelunlimited.com

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 10:20 PM
tweedy

Well, for my money, and I've been all over the carribean, I really love the Bahamas. It's easy to get there and you have all kinds of choices of things to see and do and different islands to choose from. <BR> <BR>Check with your travel agent on package deals which generally include hotel and airfare and even food and transfers. <BR> <BR>Generally allinclusive are a bit higher in price and you will find that to get all you paid for you won't want to leave and miss meals. So I suggest looking at the Comfort Suites on Paradise Island, which is right beside the Atlantis, it is all the advantages of Atlantis at half the price and it includes breakfast. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip and please let me know if I can be of any more help. <BR> <BR>tweedy <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 01:41 PM
Erica

That sounds great. Thank you for your replies! <BR>We we're browsing at St. Matrens, but we just might do arubaba or bahamas. Do either of theses places have golf courses? Is their problems with crime. <BR> <BR>Also, how much did what you guys do cost? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>Erica

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 04:17 PM
tweedy

Erica, the cost depends on what you want to do and how long you want to stay and where you go. <BR> <BR>The first thing is to talk to a travel agent, if you are not used to traveling and find out what the costs are to fly and hotel. Agents usually have package deals that I talked about before or get your Sunday newspaper and look at the travel section and see if there are any good deals there or call American Airlines or Delta Airlines and find out what kind of prices they have for family trips. The costs can even vary on airfare on the day you leave and come back, flights are cheaper on Tuesdays <BR>through Thursday and coming back on Monday, so there are so many variables that an agent can answer much better for you. Do some research and bring some ideas to your family for their consideration and have a great trip. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 10:18 PM
April

I found St. Martin not as interesting as some others except as a jumping off point to nearby islands like St. Barts and Anguilla. I remember the nicest beaches being on the Dutch side although I stayed on the French. The Dutch-side beaches seemed fairly shadeless. So unless your family is happy just lolling about or wants to take daytrips to other islands, St. Martin may not be for you. Antigua has some historical sights and good beaches (but the island seemed somewhat spoiled on my second visit), as does Barbados. I felt quite safe in Barbados (odd that I would say that when a riot broke out at a cricket match I attended!) and there's lots to see. St. Lucia is pretty, but may be lacking in historical sights. I loved Grenada but that was years ago before the 'invasion' when it felt a little dangerous. Still, it was beautiful and wonderful smelling with all those spices. I've had little experience with the Bahamas but would like to see more of it. I imagine it would be safe and would have some great beaches too. Can't offer any advice either on Aruba but people seem to like it...and then there's the British Virgin Islands. Generally I have felt safe in the Caribbean, but would avoid Jamaica and Trinidad. The Bahamas or Aruba may be good possibilities for you.