Search

Where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go?

My husband and I (young early 50's) have been to several islands in the Caribbean, thought we would try Turks & Caicos this year. Has anyone stayed at Windsong? We like at least a 4 star resort. Nightlife is not important and we prefer a large resort. We need a great beach and great pool. It would be nice to have restaurants and some shopping nearby. Some other choices for resorts are Seven Stars, Somerset or Sands. If you have other suggestions for other islands that would be greatly appreciated. We have been to Aruba, Nassau, Punta Cana, Mexico (2x-yuck) and Grand Cayman. Last year we stayed at the Westin Casuarina in Grand Cayman. Our kind of place. It was gorgeous and the staff was wonderful.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 06:22 AM

Windsong is a small resort , on a narrow beach, near a reef which brings LOTS of people in front to snorkel. Somerset is fantastic -have stayed there, love the location, can walk to MANY dining places, wonderful staff and IMO much nicer than the others you mention. 7 stars is having Management trouble ( they walked out) , restaurant is closed and I would not go there, Sands is very nice but, not at the level of Somerset..Somerset is hi end furnishings, viking kitchens, marble floors and Beautiful pool!!!
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 06:37 AM

My opinion, but Somerset may be too laid back for you. (Don't get me wrong, it is my favorite resort in the world)

I think you would love T&C, it has a way of getting into your system and never letting go. Since you don't need much nightlife, it has excellent restaurants and the world's most beautiful water you'll ever lay eyes on.

For you, I would suggest either Grace Bay Club or Regent Palms. Regent Palms has the best pool, with "pods" like daybeds scattered, a swim-up bar, and tables and stools IN the water. They are both larger properties and have a Four Seasons feel to them.

You may also want to consider the new Gansevoort Resort (it is refered in T&C as Wymara.) I just returned from there-very chic "swanky" cool vibe. Gorgeous rooms, and the bathrooms are like living in a cool Kohler commercial. A bonus is a wide stretch of beach, yet next to off-the beach snorkeling.

I have also stayed at Windsong. I personally love it, but I gather from your post it's probably not for you. It's luxurious, but small and quiet. It has a unique pool, and a narrower beachfront. (doesn't bother me, big enough for the handful of people that stay there.)
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 07:37 AM

My husband and I (also young early 50's) have done lots of Caribbean travel also..... Barbados (3x), USVI, Bermuda, Bahamas, Aruba, PR, Grand Cayman, Antigua. We went to T&C a few years ago and LOVE IT. I have to say that this is now probably my favorite one of them all! We stayed at Coral Gardens which is right next door to Windsong. Although the condo itself was great (had a one bedroom deluxe suite)the beach was a little too crowded for our taste. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation...stay away from this area since this is DIRECTLY in front of the reef where EVERYONE comes to snorkel. The hotel staff is constantly having to chase people not staying at the resort from sitting on the lounges....Have heard the new Gansevoort is nice. We are also planning on returning to T&C this year and trying to figure out where to stay. I am looking into Gansevoort, Point Grace or Turks and Caicos Club. Good luck and have fun!
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help.Went to the travel agent today and now are talking about Negril or Antigua. Any ideas on where to stay?
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 03:25 AM

I am thinking Antigua for my honeymoon in August.. someone mentioned the Grand Pineapple... Not sure, some the reviews are bad.. Any one ever been there ?
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 05:46 AM

since the Westin at Caymans is your kind of place, I would stick to your first choice of T&C. The beach there is stunning. I personally loved Windsong, but if you liked Westin, it may be too quiet for you. Somerset is closer to shops and is on a beautiful stretch of beach. You may also want to consider Regent Palms, which has a chic feel. There is great off the beach snorkeling in front of Windsong and Coral Gardens, and it's walkable from Somerset. (about 20 minutes down the beach.) T&C has the great beach, Regent Palms has a great pool, and is a larger resort. Also read my trip report with pictures, just returned. Stayed at Gansevoort, and that pool was terrific. (as was the beach front.)

I have been to all the above islands mentioned, and if Caymans is the type you liked, you'll love T&C.