Search

Where to go???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2000, 12:24 PM
Kelly

Where to go???

Hi there, My wife and I are looking to go to the Carribean.We wonder if anyone could tell us where a good,quiet,safe and affordable place is, We enjoy beaches and laid back luxery. Boy this sounds like we are looking for a paradise. <BR>Look forward to your comments.

Old Mar 26th, 2000, 05:09 PM
Rich

Hi...In the Caribbean, I've only been to Jamaica, Curacao, and Aruba. Far and away Aruba was the BEST and sounds like it has all you're looking for: quiet and laid-back, beautiful clean beaches, extremely safe, and great restaurants offering nearly every cuisine. The people were just wonderful. We found everything to be moderate to slighty high price-wise, but never felt anything to be <BR>too unreasonable. Curacao has pitiful beaches and very little to do. <BR>As for Jamaica, you can expect to be hassled to buy drugs at the airport, expect to drive by some very sad poverty enroute to your hotel, and then expect some rather shabby hotel service. Frankly, I just never felt at ease in Jamaica. I'm hardly a Caribbean expert, <BR>but everyone I know who's gone to Aruba once has gone back.

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 09:07 AM
Lisa

We've been to the Bahamas and Jamaica, and by far Bahamas describes what you are looking for; even down to the word~ think 'Paradise Island'! We did the all-inclusive for 7N/8D at the Atlantis (absolutely great! altho I've heard of construction going on now)and it was around $1500 for both of us. Excellant service, beautiful waters for snorkeling, diving, etc...we had not a care in the world the whole time! See above reply for a hit-the-nail-on-the-head summary of Jamaica. It was fun, but different than what you're looking for. And you can spend anywhere from $700 to $3500 and get the same amount of lousy service and taxi, souvenir, and drug hassles. Ha

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 03:01 PM
Diane

Check out Vieques Island, Puerto Rico. I'd recommend the Inn on the Blue Horizon or Hacienda Tamarindo. You need to fly to San Juan and take an Vieques Air flight to Vieques. Rent a 4-wheel drive (you don't have to do it right when you get there, they will usually bring a car to your hotel). This is the safest place, it is VERY non-touristy and laid back, and has some of the most incredible beaches you'll EVER find. Take a night-time tour of the bio-luminescent bay for a once in a lifetime experience. If you search on Vieques in this forum, you'll find several trip reports. Also visit Puerto Rico Tourism's website.

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 03:13 PM
Diane

The url is www.discoverpuertorico.com <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2000, 04:59 PM
Bette

Dear Kelly: I suggest that instead of the Caribbean, you look into and consider one of the outer islands of thre Bahamas. Laid back, quiet, maganificent beaches, however, usually quiet evenings. Been a few times and just loved it.