Where to Go???

Aug 12th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Where to Go???

I want to go somewhere in the Carribean but am not sure where. I'd like to do something adventurous. A place with good snorkling, jungle/ rain forest. Not the typical lying on the beach spot. Any recomendations? But still price efficient.
Aug 13th, 2006, 05:59 AM

Islands with rainforest don't usually have very good snorkeling. Try looking at St. Lucia for lots of lush rainforest area and some, but not a lot of snorkeling.

If snorkeling is your main priority and you want a hilly island with some flaura & fauna (but not lush rain forests) check out St. John or one any of the British Virgin Islands (except Anagada).
Aug 13th, 2006, 06:12 AM

One more suggestion - you'll find excellent rainforests on Dominican, some good beaches and a bit of snorkeling (but not as good as in the VI's or the BVI's).

As a hint, St. Kitts & Nevis have very good rainforests but snorkeling is really lacking.
Aug 13th, 2006, 04:19 PM

For starters, what is your idea of price efficient? We have been to both St Lucia and St John and agree that they both may meet your requirements. That said, they do have a different "feel" to them. St John doesn't have a rain forest, but is hilly and beautiful. It is 2/3 National Park, so plenty of opportunities for hiking and snorkeling. Beautiful white sand beaches and off beach snorkeling. As it is a US territory it just doesn't have the deep Caribbean flavor to it like St Lucia. Nice thing about St John is the ease of island hopping to the British Virgin Islands.

St Lucia is wild, lush, tropical and beautiful. Many rainforest hikes, jeep safari, ATV's other "adventurous" things to do. The beaches as stated are not the best in the Caribbean. The best snorkeling is reported to be at the Southern area of the island near the Piton's. Rodney Bay area is the most populated area of the island followed by Soufriere. While it is a relatively small island, it takes a while to get from point A to B as the roads are mountainous with frequent switchbacks. Check out sunlinktours.com and stlucia.org for more info about St Lucia.
Aug 13th, 2006, 05:05 PM

St Vincent and the Grenadines can be done well on a budget with one exception.......getting there. I just booked a trip for this Thanksgiving and my airfare is $940. If you can afford the airfare there are plenty of reasonably priced accommodations. The place I stay is an efficiency apartment on Indian Bay @ $55/night this past Dec. Nothing fancy but neat and clean. The owners are the best.

Islands in the chain can be reached by ferry. ON the mainland you will have all the rain forest anyone could want. Traveling further down island there is the Tobago Cays and although I'm not a snorkeler rumor has it some of the best to be had. Not a touristy place but certainly much of the best the Caribbean has to offer.
Aug 13th, 2006, 06:04 PM

It may not be the easiest island to get to, but I think you're describing Dominica. Quite inexpensive, lots of local flavor, great hiking in the beautiful mountains with tons of waterfalls (I can recommend Ken's Hinterland Adventures), some hot springs and other geothermal features, and good snorkeling at Champagne Beach and Scotts Point (we kayaked easily to these two spots one morning). It is one island we will definitely visit again. I agree St. Lucia might also work for you.
Aug 14th, 2006, 01:16 AM

I'd have to ditto Domenica. Great suggestion.