Where to Go

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:02 AM
Jen

Where to Go

I have never been to the BVI, USVI, Caribbean or anywhere in those vacinities. My friend and I (both 20) have been put in charge by my parents to find a place to go for Spring Break in that region. We're looking for 4 star hospitality, great restaurants, tropical weather and atmosphere, great snorkeling, and ok night life. ANY imput or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:07 AM
Islander

Jen - I am partial to Antigua becuase this is where I spent my honeymoon. It's a great island with beautiful beaches but not much to do in the way of nightlife and snorkeling.

It sounds to me that St. John would be a great pick for you. The Westin may fit you will or you may also want to check into some Villas, a good route to go. Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:24 PM
moi

Go to Cozumel or Playa del Carmen , Both of these places have all those things you listed...best snorkeling ,beautiful beaches, good restaurants, some nightlife...and good prices.They're in Mexico ,on the Caribbean side of Mexico , so their beaches are just as nice as some of the best in the Caribbean .

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Michael

Jen,

I have to agree with Islander. I have been to St. John. We stayed at the Westin. It's very affordable, the people were very pleasant, but the meals at the resort were a little pricey. But don't get discouraged. Keep reading.

Villas are cheaper, but they are not on the water and there could be a "cleaning" fee after you leave the villa. That's why we chose the Westin.

You'll land in St. Thomas. Take the open bus to Red Hook and catch a ferry. I think it's something like $10.

The Westin was very clean, inside and out. The beach was nice too. At night, take the open bus into Cruz Bay. Find the Lime Inn. It is kind of hard to find, looks like a "hole in the wall" from the street, but I'll tell you, get the steak dinner!!!! Inside was very clear, the staff feel over themselves to make sure you are comfortable and satisfied. The Owner is from NJ, and he too waited on tables. There are other restaurants as well, some nice French, Caribbean, Italian, etc.

We took a day trip to Van Jost and did some snorkeling at the Baths.

We also rented a Jeep and took several day trips. We drove to the other side of the Island, did some snorkeling, swimming, sight seeing, etc. If you rent a Jeep, do it for 2 days, that should be plenty. I think a rental was $30 or $40 a day. Just remember to stay on the left side of the road and always, always, always wear your seatbelt! The police will issue a ticket for none use, and you have to pay it before you leave!! (besides, with some of the hair pin turns, it's a good idea).

As for ther night life, I think Cruz Bay had something, and I thing the Westin did as well, but, I'm afraid I wasn't there for the night life.

The weather was very warm and sunny during the day, we had showers at night, the water was warm and clear.

Go for it! I have talked about sending my parents there, so, I think your parents would approve.

Michael

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 12:25 PM
moi

St.John is a very nice island( clean , safe) with beautiful water ,not much of a town, the food choice is not that exciting and very expensive and pretty much ZERO nightlife ! best party place for young people like you Jen , would be Cancun ,lots of restaurants , bars, clubs,shopping ,(Cancun does has great beaches too ) While in Cancun ,you can take trip to Playa Del Carmen area (1 hour plus...from Cancun airport )Xelha ,Xcaret...there you have some of the best snorkeling in the world!I myself prefer Playa Del Carmen cause it't more exortic and i'm out of the party scene- Cancun is the Daytona beach of the Caribbean!