Where to find Cuban rum

Apr 15th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Where to find Cuban rum

First of all let me state I am not trying to sneak some back in to my cabin or the USA. I had some Cuban rum once in Barcelona and it was the best I have ever had. I think it was Havana club or something like that. All I want is to see if some can be had to sample in a bar or restaurant in the following ports:
Barbados
Antigua
St. Lucia
St. Maarten.
Thank you. Larry

Apr 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Have you visited Ed Hamilton's site? He is the self-proclaimed Minister of Rum, and his site is www.ministryofrum.com. You can search each rum name to see where it is sold, including restaurants.

Happy sipping!
Apr 15th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Cuban rum is sold in all of those ports. St. Maarten is the cheapest though..it's a duty free island.
Cuban rum is excellent!
Apr 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Look for the Havana Club that has been aged for seven years, especially if you're drinking it as a sipping rum.

There's another aged version that I saw at the duty free in Mexico last month, but it's a blend, not all of it has been aged that long.

We brought a couple bottles home when we were in Havana several years ago, before the current administration tightened the rules.

Apr 15th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I used the link and found that Havana Club is indeed the brand I tried in Spain. Amazingly good! I will try the aged rum if I can get it. I do like to sip and savor. On our last trip to the Caribbean I bought some excellent singel barrel aged rums, Depaz for Martinique, agen Crizan for USVI and and aged Mt. Gay from Barbados. All were very good. Actually a fine aged rum sipped from a brandy glass reminds me of cognac. Cheers, or bottoms up.
Apr 15th, 2008, 07:49 PM

When's your cruise, Larry? Hope you're able to find some of the Havana Club on your travels.
Apr 16th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks EJ. We are on a 7 day cruise out of SJ beginning in late May.
Apr 16th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

BTW and I've said this B4 but I'll say it again. It just seems that folks on the Carib. board are pretty mellow. Maybe is the rum, yes.

Search this Thread