where to? family vaca.

Sep 28th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

where to? family vaca.

So many choices. We are a family of five. 3 teenagers. Want to do this right because it will only be the once for the five of us. Love luxury but hate stuffy and uppity. Love natural beauty and comfort. Need good restaurants too. Anguila?
Turks? I am so confused. Thanks
Sep 28th, 2007, 06:20 PM

hi millsy5. t&c is a great choice for beauty and dining. grace bay beach is one of most gorgeous in carib. the water is an unreal color of tourquoise with oh so soft sand that never gets hot. definetly not stuffy. most of the resorts are directly on the beach. many resorts are condo style so lots of room (priced from 300 - 1300/night) and you can save for those splurge dinners by eating some breakfast and lunches at home. cocktails as well - we always rent a villa and drink a lot at home. lots of villas available if that would interest you. several spas on provo. as far as whether you teens will like it i'm not sure. there is very little shopping or nightlife. but fabulous diving, snorkeling, and bonefishing. plus a few excursion to nearby islands/cays.
if you give a bit more info as to what you all like to do other posters may have ideas for other options. also where are you traveling from?
i should tell you that the reason for the water color, soft sand and great diving is that provo is a coral based island. this also means it is flat and sort of scrubby rather than hilly and lush. i mention as this is contrary to what some envision when they think of the islands.
Sep 29th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. We live in St. Louis. I think t&c sounds great but agree the kids may need more....I also like plush/lush and hilly I think....
I would not want a "cancun" like option for the kids but something else - shopping/history/nature trails, etc. would be great.
Sep 29th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Scratch Anguilla -- it's flat, arid, scrubby. No nature trails, no real shopping (a few galleries) but lots and lots of beaches and restaurants, beaches and restaurants, beaches and restaurants . . . .
Sep 29th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Hi, Agree with Mary about Anguilla but, the Gorgeous 30 something beaches make up for the lack of Lush! please check out the Anguilla Guide.com also if u want Lush plus beautiful beaches our other fave island is St.John usvi go to st.john.com for more info on island Good Luck & no matter where u end up I'm sure you'll make memories of a lifetime! Enjoy
Sep 29th, 2007, 03:19 PM

ok i agree about cancun. way to wild for my taste and lol not a place i'd send 3 teens to find fun! however you might find a good an all-inclusive or condo place close to playa del carmen (approx 45mins to an hour south of cancun airport) these resorts come with a trillion things to do not to mention all the off resort things like atv jungle tour, zip-lines, shopping in pdc, diving/snorkeling in ocean or cenotes, 2 excellent eco-marine parks, the ruins and more. gorgeous beaches. frontier has a direct flight but $$ or american has a good option.

another idea might be barbados. longer flight. look for lodging near the town called the gap - on the west coast of the island. gap is where the shopping, teen clubs, activities are centralized. good dining. a bit of a british atmosphere. if interested i have a 20+ page report on barbados saved which was sent to me by another fodorite. if you post an email i will forward it to you.

jamaica has lots to do, is lush and hilly, but again to let the teens go off on their own could be iffy.

Search this Thread