Reload this Page >

Where to eat on Grand Cayman?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 06:51 AM
Mark

I am reposting my ealier message because it did not get in the area. <BR>I am looking for recommendations on place to eat on Grand Cayman. Also, please give me an idea on prices, dress code, etc... Thank you very much for any input !

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 08:31 AM
s

We were just on the islands and had some excellent meals. I don't know if you are looking for places good for children, casual or more upscale but I will give you my reviews for what it's worth. <BR>Rizzoni (spelling may be off)- Pizza and pasta. It is located in the shopping center (Birmingham perhaps, something English) accross the street from the Hyatt beachfront suites. Pretty good, entrees in the CI$15-20 range, only woodburning pizza oven on the island. Nice casual dress (good shorts with polo shirt would work) <BR> <BR>Hemingways - One of the Hyatt's restaurants. It was ok for the price - CI$20-35 per entree. Little dressier than above but khakis and sport shirt would be fine. <BR> <BR>Brassiere - In Georgetown, out of the way in an odd location but the food was excellent. Tropical atmosphere with rattan and dark wood, very quiet. Menu is not huge but again it was excellent. Expensive, CI$25-35 an entree. Dress similar to Hemingway's. <BR> <BR>Eduardo's - Traditional Italian. Near the Foster's market on West Bay Road. Pretty good and more moderately priced, CI$12-20 and entree. Dress similar to Rizzoni. <BR> <BR>Casa Havana - At the Westin. Very romantic, especially if you sit outside. Service is first rate food is excellent. Little dressier but nice khakis and a nice sport shirt would do. Expensive CI$20-30 an entree. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 10:52 AM
Lori

We really enjoyed The Wharf, Almond Tree and Grand Old House. At The Wharf and Grand old House you can sit right out on the water. Grand Old House is on the more formal side. Almond Tree is more casual and you can sit outside on a patio with parrots and twinkling lights in the trees. The Wharf has a pier where the restaurant feeds fish called Tarpons and you can watch them jump and eat.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 05:11 AM
Mark

Thanks for the postings. <BR>Any more suggestions?

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 06:18 AM
ellen

The pizza bread and the conch fritters at the Westbay Polo Club ( a cheapie sportsbar) are the BEST anywhere.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 03:22 PM
Ronnie

Sushi was great there too!

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 03:46 PM
Dee

Eats across from the Westin is excellent and moderate in price. Be adventurous - try some of the restaurants that serve local food - good buy for the money. Champion House and Liberty's are both excellent. Also the grocery has a deli section with hot meals for approx. $7-8 CI. Also the Cracked Conch out by the Turtle farm has the best cracked conch on the island in my opinion. Gorgous evening views.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 05:55 PM
Kim

I was in Grand Cayman from july22-29th and i had an awesome time! we ate out almost everynight and i must say that the meals were very good...here are some of my favorite places: <BR>Hooks- it was in treasure island resort, next to the condominums my friend's family had a timeshare in. The decor was great, with the peter pan theme. It wasn't too expensive, and we got there early so there wasn't a wait. <BR> <BR>The lonestar bar and grill- its rated as a great bar, with a taxas feeling. we went on the all you can eat fajita night, and got great food. Its very popular so we had to wait about 45 minutes to be seated. but overall i enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, so casual dress was fine. <BR> <BR>The Bed resturant and lounge- Known as a local place, we took a chance on this and were pleasantly suprised. I found it to be very uniquely decorated (with the booths having canoply's on them as if they were a bed) and the waiters and waitresses all wore tastefull satin pyjamas. They also played very interesting music. This resturant was more for the younger crowd,not exactly a family resturant but we were welcomed. I thought the food was very well done, and everyone raved about it. it's definately the coolest/best resturant i've ever been to. <BR> <BR>Papagallo's Ristorante : when my friend's family first started planning the trip i immidiately found information on Papagallo's. The outside of the resturant is beautiful, a very good place for a family picture. The dress for the resturant faily dressy, i thought that the food was good, but i still liked the bed better because of its unique and innovative ideas. This resturant was definitly the most expensive out of all of them, and certainly the hardest to find. <BR> <BR>Hope you have a great time in grand cayman and tell us all about it- i had a wonderful trip, it's a great island and i hope to go back there in the near future

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 07:09 PM
Bill

Mark: Do the Wharf(overpriced, slow ser- <BR>vice, but great loc. & tarpon feeding <BR>at 9PM((don't get a table adjacent to <BR>that area)); Casanova's in town for <BR>Italian(tell them it's your birthday, they'll put on a show), Almond Tree is <BR>nice(great locale); E-Mail me if you <BR>want more info. <BR>

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 07:16 AM
sandy

I haven't been there for a while, but I had the best grilled tuna ever at the Cracked Conch. Smugglers Cove was good, and Papagallo's was wonderful. I'd go just for the atmosphere.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 07:56 AM
Sipry

Some of our favorites (we've been going to GC since 1993): <BR> <BR>Italian - <BR>Bella Capri - Located in the SMB area. Small, intimate, great food and service. Not cheap but also not the most expensive. <BR>Cassanova's - Located right in Georgetown - great Italian overlooking the water. Not as romantic and intimate as Bella Capri but great food and service. <BR>Lunch - <BR>Legends Cafe - SMB. Great sandwiches, burgers,soup - reasonable. <BR>Lone Star - SMB - One of the most reasonable places to eat for both lunch and dinner. Check out their special nights - rib night, steak night, fajita night. Very reasonable and we've never had a meal that we were disappointed in. <BR>Seafood - <BR>Lobster Pot - Any seafood is great and it overlooks the water in Georgetown. <BR>Any fish cooked Caymanian Style is great (peppers, onions, tomatoes).Also, they have wonderful fried plantains that are usually served as a side dish. <BR>Cracked Conch - Right next to the Turtle Farm.Overlooks the water.We had fantastic lobster tails there that were huge and very reasonably priced. <BR>Lantanas - SMB - Wonderful seafood. Upstairs overlooking the water. Had the best chocolate souffle that I've ever had - I still talk about it. <BR> <BR>Don't miss Rum Point - It's nice to go for the day. We always have lunch there - you sit outside at picnic tables - it's right on the beach and very laid back. The sandwiches are huge with fries - we now order just one and split it - barbecue chicken is very good. <BR> <BR>As far as The Wharf - We have gone twice and will never go back again. Had to be the worst experience we have ever had at a restaurant. The first time, we were seated inside - Tables on top of each other. The next time, we were seated outside and it was even worse. They cram as many tourists as they can into a small space - the service was abominable - snooty, nasty and not much of it. The food was good but we have had better - very pricey for a really bad experience. Having a drink at their bar outside was fine but I wouldn't recommend eating there. There are too many other wonderful places to eat on the island. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. <BR> <BR>Sipry <BR> <BR>PS: Have a great time! <BR>

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 02:17 PM
Kellly

It has been quite sometime since I have been to G.C. As no one has posted Lanatana's I am curious if it is still open. It doesn't look like much from the street, but it has terrific food. Don't miss the apple pastry dessert. I believe they call it apple pie. Yummy! <BR> <BR>Hemmingway's is OK. Overpriced for so so food. <BR> <BR>Papagallos is good. Great ambiance. <BR> <BR>Lobster Pot is good for the $. <BR> <BR>Dress Code: Resort Casual pretty much everywhere. <BR> <BR>Prices: Seem to be in line for what you get in all aspects. ie dining, lodging, etc.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 05:27 PM
Lori

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Crowes Nest. It was one of our best meals on the island... casual dress. We both shared an appetizer, two entrees, shared dessert and two drinks each and bill came to $99US. <BR> <BR>Restarante Casonava ! As other people mentioned was also my favorite, very small, intimate and itallion - worth every cent - again about $100 <BR> <BR>The Reef Grill - very expensive but very good - the very best balsamic glazed chicken I ever had. <BR> <BR>Chicken Chicken - VERY GOOD - for $26US we got their Feast meal to go which was a whole chicken, two large sides (i.e. rice & beans, potatoes, etc) and caribbean corn breatd. Very tasty. <BR> <BR>Also, do go to rum point for lunch. We had lunch there on a Saturday afternoon... we sat outside on the beach with great music in the background. We both had the jerk chicken & jerk pork BBQ combo with rice & beans and potatoe salad. They were BBQ it 20 feet away from us - the smell was heavenly! Wash that down with a couple ice cold red stripes and lie on the beach all afternoon <BR> <BR>Have a great trip

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 09:10 PM
Mark

Thank you for all the replies. They will help picking good places to eat.