Where should we go next?

Search

Where should we go next?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should we go next?

We have been to St John. We stayed at Eco Tents. We loved everything about St John except the driving (scary)and not being able to walk to beach.

We have been to GC. Stayed in a beautiful condo, 2 min walk to beach. Loved GC too!

Where should we go next? Excellent from beach snorkeling is a top priority. Would love to have a house or condo right on beach but would not rule out a resort. Pool would be a big plus. We would like to be able to comfortably explore the island or area. Less crowded the better. A historical site to visit or fun excursion to take would also be a plus but we do not need much entertaiment other than the snorkeling!
We will be traveling the first week of June 08. $5000-$6000 total budget from Kansas City.
Please help me narrow down a few choices to research. Our trips to the Caribbean are rare and special!! Thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 11:03 AM

Check out Aquamarinebeachhouses.com in turks and Caicos. On the beach, hige pool, walk in either direction to great off the beach snorkeling. Not crowded (especially that section of beach-you'll pretty much have it all to yourself.)

No historical sights, but meets your other requirements.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Blamona for the reply. I looked up the accomodations and they look very nice. I will email for prices. Do you know if there are other off the beach snorkeling areas on the island?
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 07:50 PM

We will be staying close to the above in 3 weeks - I will post a report as soon as we get back - there is two off beach snorkeling areas - smith's reef and coral gardens.
BTW - we are also in KC.
Good luck!
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 04:34 AM

jennrayiw is correct-there are 2 major areas to snorkel off the beach-coral gardens (which is roped off, but still excellent-you will snorkel with Sea Eagle Rays, turtles, even "Barry" the baracuda and the usual Parrot fish, etc. The other major reef is Smith's Reef, and you'll probably have it pretty much to yourself.

The Beauty of Aquamarine Houses, is you're in the middle of both reefs. A 10 minute walk in 1 direction to Coral Gardens, and a 15-20 minute walk to Smith's Reef. The beachfront at the houses are nice and sandy, not rocky, and the house is right on the beach. Plus it fits your budget. the pool is a nice size, and again, probably all to yourself. (It's bigger than regular villas) You will probably have the whole place to yourself, so again no crowds. You will have to rent a car, to go grocery shopping and to all the terrific restaurants.

Another option, also close to the 2 reefs, is a small condo boutique hotel called turks and Caicos Club. Call them directly to see if you get a deal-it should fit your budget, includes a full American breakfast, has full kitchens and living areas, and is gorgeous-fits your budget too.

You're going to love it!
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 06:01 AM

Hi tdelano! Blamona gives excellent advice. Sounds like Aqumarine is a good fit. I have an extensive report on ABH from our previous 2 trips, with lots of photos of both ABH and the small reef in front of the houses. www.mymoosie.net

Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:47 AM

I'd suggest that staying at Mango Bay Resort, one of the Mahoe Bay vilas, or at Guavaberry Spring Bay, all on Virgin Gorda, would work well for you. All are within easy 2 minute walk o the beach, with some being actually beachfront. Virgin Gorda is similar to st. John in topography, but the main roads are in good repair and not at all difficult to drive around on your own. You can hike Gorda Peak and get fantastic views of the other BVIs, you can take a daytrip on Double D charters to snorkel the Caves & the Indians (I highly recommend that!). Not sure about lots of historical sites, but there is the old copper mine, which we found fascinating and picture-worthy. check out www.mangobayresort.com www.guavaberryspringbay.com for the two villa-style resorts. we stayed at www.adagiovilla.com and rented from the owner directly just this last july and it was amazing.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the ideas. I have enjoyed reading about every suggestion. Unfortunatly the $3000 a week price tag on these are out of my range. I have $5000 to $6000 for the week (much better if I can keep it close to 5) and I have to pay airfare for 5 out of KC, food entertainment, etc. Anyone have any suggestions that are a bit less expensive? Also, are there other off beach snorkeling areas in Turks/Caicos other than Provo and Grace Bay?
Thanks!!!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:06 PM

The Sands at Grace Bay might be a good option. Though I have not stayed here, we dined there (Hemingways was great!) and checked the place out for future stays. We would definitely stay there in the future. There are nice pools and it's kind of centrally located on Grace Bay. There's not snorkeling right out front, however if you rent a car (which you pretty much need to do anyway), it's not a big deal. We have stayed at Ocean Club West 3 times in the past, which I'd also recommend, but I think the rates at the Sands are a bit cheaper and the places seemed pretty comparable to me.

I agree about the driving in St John!!!!!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:27 AM

I just checked the rates on the website and you can get a two bedroom Guavaberry cottage at Spring Bay on Virgin Gorda, for $190/night. Preparing your own meals is easy and they even have a commissary on site for making quick & easy purchases.

Fly into St. Thomas instead of Tortola or Virgin Gorda and take the ferry over to save money. I think it's as doable on your budget as anyplace else would be. Flying into St. Thomas is usually one of the least expensive airports in the Caribbean. Under $200/night for a two bedroom cottage with kitchen facilities and a nice deck is also *extremely* reasonable. There is excellent snorkeling right from the beach, the beach is just a few minutes' walk away. I can't imagine finding a place for less money that still has all of the other requirements you're looking for.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:16 AM

tdelano, your budget is small for 5 including airfare. kc to provo is $880/each. however i did some checking and you can fly to ft lauderdale for around $210 using combo's of delta/northwest or delta/continental. from there you can use spirit air to get to provo for $236 rndtrp.
still a fairly expensive island to visit no matter what.
similiar fares to bahamas from st. lauderdale, but i have never been so can offer no advice on where you might try to stay.
you can fly to cancun for $483 where things are much cheaper as you know. we rented casa cavu ( http://www.locogringo.com/tankah/cav...me=Casa%20Cavu ) on tankah bay beach which has snorkeling off the beach and which should rent for around $3400 for your dates. this is just under your budget and of course does not include food or entertainment. if you could come up with an extra 1K you'd be set. booking this far ahead you may be able to find a cheaper suitable house. i emailed locogringo with my requirements and budget and they suggested several properties.
hope this helps.