Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where should we go for our all inclusive birthday getaway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are looking into all inclusive places for a joint birthday getaway. We would like to travel for ~5-7 days between now and May but avoid spring breakers, if possible.

A little about us
We are both in our late 20s (well, he is turning 30!) and although we love kids, we have no children so we would prefer a place that is either adults only or has a small volume of children. We like relaxation but would like to have the option for some activity if we feel inclined. We love good food and we (I) would love to stay somewhere where there are bali beds if possible. We're not looking to break the bank with this trip, but we want to stay somewhere nice.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give!
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 06:47 AM

Here's a few hints:

1) It's always best to give us an actual dollar budget instead of a nebulous term like "not looking to break the bank". You see, we have no idea how "strong" or "weak" YOUR BANK is.

2) Let us know, too, if your budget number includes airfare and, if so, where you are flying from as that could have a major effect on where you go.

3) Generally speaking "All Inclusives" are not noted for having "good food" unless you are planning to stay at very high end resorts (which I'm guessing would "break your bank"). The more moderately priced AI's have decent food but whether or not it will qualify as "good food" will depend on your definition and your standards. Don't expect "gourmet food" at moderately priced AI's.

4) If you can travel after Easter you'll probably miss all the spring breakers and besides most spring breakers go to Cozumel or Cancun as the other Caribbean destinations are usually out of their price range.

5) Again, if you can wait until after Easter (i.e. later in April or May) you probably won't find many children at any of the Caribbean Resorts as that's not a popular travel time for families since the kids are still in school. Avoid Easter Week, though.

6) You will find lots of AI's in the Dominican Republic, Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and Jamaica ( many of which will probably have rates that meet your definition of "not breaking the bank". Also, if you can hold off until late April or May you may find some of the resorts will be charging their "Low Season" rates.

7) I note you tagged your post with "St. Kitts & Nevis" - you should know there are no AI's on Nevis. A few of the resorts do offer optional "Meal Plans" but those that do will probably be out of your price range. I believe the Marriott on St. Kitts offers an "AI" option but you may find going SAI at that resort will put a strain on your budget. Like on Nevis, you won't find any other "true" All inclusives on St. Kitts so if going AI is important to you consider looking elsewhere.

Last hint: From what you have described you'll probably find what you are seeking in the Dominican Republic and its also a destination that can be reach economically from many US major airports (if that's where you are flying from) so you might want to concentrate your search there.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 09:13 AM

I have stayed in a couple of places in the Dominican Republic and can give you a couple of suggestions. If you are looking for an All-Inclusive where there are activities, friendly people and a gorgeous beach then Gran Ventana could be a good option for you.
They have plenty of entertaining activities such as scuba lessons, beach volleyball, snorkeling and kayaking. If you are more in the mood to relax then it also can be quiet and calm.
Another great selection is staying at Casa Colonial Boutique Hotel. It is absolutely gorgeous, its romantic, has more of the Bali style beds you mentioned before and you can have romantic brunches on your balcony. It is not an all-Inclusive but the restaurants especially Lucias is delicious. This may be a bit pricier but they offer plenty of great packages on their website; I'm sure you could find something that fits your budget, whatever it may be.

Good luck and I hope I could help!
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 09:40 AM
KVR

I would recommend the Royal Playa del Carmen. It's adult only AI and a 5 minute walk to 5th Avenue, where you will find bars, restaurants, shopping and entertainment. This AI has really good food and no standing in line for reservations.

If you wait until the 2nd or 3rd week of May, prices and crowds should drop significantly.