Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Puerto Rico, USVI or Florida with 13 year old granddaughter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had previously posted on FL, PR, and USVI separately regarding our upcoming April trip, and now have new feedback from our granddaughter and thought it might be easier to post in this forum tagging PR and USVI.

Latest feedback from our GD is that she only cares about getting a tan and relaxing on spring break. Where we had been looking into a lot of side trips to entertain her (fun, cultural, historical, etc.) it seems she doesn't want to be on the go all the time. Also, she is a little afraid of snorkeling which she has never tried, but we would love to introduce her to it.

So where do you recommend going for a nice beach vacation ideally with access to snorkeling (in case she likes it, because we love it), even if it is a day trip elsewhere? Either an all inclusive or someplace reasonably priced knowing how teenagers want to snack all the time. Because of her lack of passport we have narrowed it down to Florida, Puerto Rico, or somewhere in the US Virgin Islands (St. John, St. Thomas, St. Croix). Want somewhere clean, safe, with a nice beach on site. While we will try to entice her to do a little sightseeing, we want to be sure the place we select to stay is enjoyable if we can't get her to budge off the beach. Thanks.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:31 PM

answered on other thread
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 01:48 AM

www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/StThomas
my fav prettiest Frenchman's Reef marriott.com
more for budget less remote than St. John Westin is
nice there spg.com but less to do. PR bigger city more touristic not quite as pretty or safe.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 09:50 AM

If you are planning to rent a car then I wholeheartedly second Virginia's recommendation (on your other post) for Secret Harbour on St. Thomas. It would be a great place for her to get comfortable with snorkeling and there are other activities there as well. I think you would want a car to access restaurants nearby but also a shopping day in Charlotte Amalie would be a good 13 yr old girl outing!
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 10:00 AM

PS As far as the teenage snacking, if you stayed at Secret Harbour with a full kitchen then there is a fairly large grocery store nearby where you can stock up on snacks and drinks and make things easier for all of you. I think it would be more fun to try different places in Red Hook rather than going the all inclusive route. You can also pick up some cereal, fruit, breakfast pastries, whatever in case she is a late sleeper and make breakfast easier some days!
Depending on your budget they have 2 bedroom units as well as on bedroom units, I believe, so you can all have more space.