Search

Where not to go?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where not to go?

I have read several of the messages, posts and replies of what to see where to go and what to do; I will be traveling to PR (with female friend) and staying in Dorado. She has visited PR a few times, however not in the past 25years. We are both in our forty's. I have a few questions...
1. Is there ferry service to San Juan from dorado?
2. What should be avoided in San Juan...clubs, bars, restruants particular areas (streets etc.)? We both drink modeerately (on vacation)...where should we go to dance and have a good time? Where to avoid.
3. Same question for Old San Juan, Dorado, and Ponce.
4. What beaches should be avoided.
5. We both drink modeerately (on vacation)...where should we go to dance and have a good time? Where to avoid.
6. I am led to believe that the only nightlife is in Ssan Juan...Is this true?
7. I have been told there are several "clubs", "bars" that are either gay/lesbian/swingers...We do not wish to visit these establishments...can you list any to avoid...throughout PR.
8. It appears many people vist the "local" attractions...does anyone have a no-so-known spot to visit and why?
Your antisipated support is greatly appreciated. Bill
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 09:17 PM
wow

Try re-posting...something like: San Juan: Questions???
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 06:11 AM

I have been to SJU a few times in my 30s and 40s, both solo and with a friend. I think its a great spot! I ran in the mornings without problems and never had a problem anywhere downtown.

I cannot speak of Dorado as I have never been.

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:24 PM

To answer your questions:
1. I do not believe there is a ferry from San Juan to Dorado. I think you might need to cab it.
2. Avoid clubs that are really meant for 21 years old. We made this mistake because my husband and I look very young and when we asked a waiter where to go, he told us this bar (Beba?) next to the Pier and fish market and we were very much out of place. Best place is Rumba (for dancing the salsa and International crowd) and Laser (for club dancing our age) both are in Old San Juan. Also, if it is your first night, I recommend going to the Wyndham El San Juan hotel at night. The whole lobby is pulsating with Salsa and there is also a trendy club in the hotel if that is more your type. DO dress up though --- they have strict dress codes. When in doubt, wear a short black dress, it'll get you anywhere.
3. Not much of a night life in Ponce. Ponce is more of a college town so bar-hopping is more or less what to do during the weekend. Zero nightlife during the week. Can't speak for Dorado, have only driven by there.
4. There's this beach next to the bridge that links San Juan to Old San Juan. It is a public beach next to the Condado Beach Hotel or something like that --- I'd avoid it because it is packed with kids. I have a child I am not against kids but this is probably not your scene. The hotel pool is next to that beach and it is obnoxiously loud! They were playing bingo at the pool and just overheard that while passing by... If you're askign about safety, almost all beaches in San Juan are safe. Never had any problems at Condado, Ocean Park or Isla Verde. Not even at night, for that matter.
5. See comments on #2.
6. Yes, San Juan and Old San Juan they are! Although, I bet you if you are staying in Dorado and hang out at a local gringo bar, I bet you you'd have a good time. Most bars where you would find ex-pats or gringos, are really fun --- IMO. so you can probably find a handful of those spread out in PR especially near the old bases.
7. A cabby told us the best club in San Juan is this gay club because of the music. I have to tell you that growing up in Boston and been to NY, I've frequented gay clubs and they are not at all what you think they are. But if you really want to avoid them, Eros is a gay club the cab driver told us about. The other club Lazer I mentioned on #2 is actually a gay club too...sorry. I guess just go to Rumba's and the Wyndham El San Juan Hotel and you are sure to have a great time!
8. A not-so-known place that my husband and I enjoy is a town called Guavate. We visit it because they have these mom and pop kiosk stands and mini cafeterias sometimes set next to their homes and we enjoy the local "lechon" roasted pig and a good beer --- life is good!

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to email me [email protected]. We've been there 5x and been everywhere. My husband has met several Puerto Ricans and they are shocked how much we know their island and we can actually give them a tour! And we're not even from there...and do not speak the language.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:26 PM

So sorry! Didn't realize you're a guy...forget the short black dress!