Search

Where in Caribbean?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in Caribbean?

We have never been to the Caribbean. So any information is really appreciated.

When is the best time to go? We have an infant, so we are not limited to the holiday/ summer season.

Which islands? My husband and I enjoy good food and beautiful beaches.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 02:24 PM

When to go - Jan to March (especially to get away from the winter at home).

With an infant - I would stick to the more "built up" islands. Grand Cayman, the Atlantis at the Bahamas, etc.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Well, that's really too open-ended to give you any real advice. Keep in mind that high season prices are in effect roughly mid-December through mid-April. Some hotels offer "shoulder season" prices in the spring and fall, but most places offer either high or low season prices. Traveling in low season has many benefits, including the low prices and usually smaller crowds. However, once you get into the summer months you're officially in hurricane season which means you need to assess whether risks.

May is probably my favorite month to travel to the Caribbean because it generally combines good weather, low prices, and low crowds.

If you're thinking of traveling this year, be aware that various islands will be hosting the World Cricket Cup in March and April and that your chances of finding accommodations on those islands during that time is close to nil.

With an infant, I would choose an island where you could have access to a doctor, health clinic or hospital just in case of emergencies. You'll probably want an island with calm, shallow water at the beach for playing in the sand, so that leads me to suggest Anguilla, Aruba, Turks & Caicos, Grand Cayman, and other coral based islands.

I would also suggest looking into a condo or at least a jr. suite style of accommodation so that you can put your baby to bed and still stay up without disturbing him/her. Condos or at least places with a kitchenette will be good for keeping milk, juice, and familiar snacks on hand for baby.

Turks & Caicos and Grand Cayman would both be good candidates for wide choice of condo accommodations.

Most islands will be able to fulfill the good food requirement.

If you plan to rent a car and you're not bringing your own car seat, be sure to request one ahead of time from the car rental company.

Give us a few more ideas of what you're looking for and we'll jump in with loads of suggestions for you.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback so far. This will be a good start for me to research for now.

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:56 AM

I agree with the suggestions of Turks & Caicos, Grand Cayman or Aruba.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 05:10 AM

When my son was a little one we always traveled in May to the Caribbean. It was perfect everytime.I also agree with T&C and the Caymans
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Sure you have heard but if not... after Jan 23 you need a passport to travel outside US territories. You can get back into the US but will have to go through a MAJOR hassle at the airport.

Not positive, but I believe you also need one for the baby.

Also, hurricane season is June(?) to October. Chances are you would NOT have any problems if you travel at that time but there is always a risk.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM

yep, need a passport for the baby. starting at day 1, although I'm not sure how one would actually get one for travel on day 1....
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:32 PM

Just to make things clear, if you are a US citizen travelling to the Caribbean after January 23 you will need a passport to GET BACK INTO the US, and not necessarilly to GET INTO other countries.

And, yes you will need one for your child, regardless of his or her age.

You can read the regulations at:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/